I have 6 x 3mp cameras.

3cameras in garage, 3 in house.

I will need minimal 2 switches because one will be in garage, one in house. POE utilized.

A) I would like to connect the garage switch ---> house switch ---> router (in series).

I know if they are unmanaged this config will not work. I know that

B) unmanaged switches all need to terminate at the router.

My house layout creates a problem where I cannot use B.

Q1) When do I need a gigabit switch? eg. 7x 3mp cameras?

Q2) Do I need 1 managed switch or 2 for config A?

Must have a big house.

You can use unmanaged switches (both of them can be unmanaged).

Most likely you will be limited by the throughput of whatever your using to record, rather than the switches.

I will need minimal 2 switches because one will be in garage, one in house. POE utilized.

A) I would like to connect the garage switch ---> house switch ---> router (in series).

I know if they are unmanaged this config will not work. I know that

B) unmanaged switches all need to terminate at the router.

My house layout creates a problem where I cannot use B.

A) would work... And no to B), they do not need to terminate at the router.

You can connect the garage switch, to the house switch, to the router.

You can always use gigabit switches to help "future proof" your install

I am using Cisco 3750 poe switches that are 10/100 with 32Gbps throughout put, that kind of backplane bandwidth is uncommon in consumer switches, I have 8 IP cameras and the switch is at 4% of its bandwidth capacity.

When connecting switch to switch, you will either need to use the "uplink" port (if available) on one switch, or a crossover cable between the two switches (if no uplink is available, some don't have them). Unless you get auto crossover switches like the some of the Cisco small business switches then this is done automatically

Thanks for the help guys.

From what I read I think:

A) I just need a cross cable between my two unmanaged (no uplink port) switches.

I'm still unsure when I would (if ever) need a gigabit switch. The most ever I would use are probably

7 x 3mp cameras. (The nvr can handel 16cameras.)

For reference I have a

ZyXEL ES1100-8P 8-Port Fast Ethernet POE Unmanaged Switch

Zyxel es1100-16P unmanaged POE switch

When connecting switch to switch, you will either need to use the "uplink" port (if available) on one switch, or a crossover cable between the two switches (if no uplink is available, some don't have them). Unless you get auto crossover switches like the some of the Cisco small business switches then this is done automatically

You shouldn't need a crossover cable unless you're using old equipment. Most 10/100 switches for the last 10 years have N-way, which auto detects uplinks. And the Gigabit Ethernet protocol is auto detecting by default. Only one of the 2 switches would need to have an uplink port or N-way.

I have a switch in my garage to handle 3 cameras in that area and I have a 24 port desktop switch with 12 PoE ports. I have the switch in the garage with a gigabit uplink going into my gigabit 24 port switch. Both are managed, but that doesn't matter.

Heck, in one install with about 16 cameras, we have several locations, each linked with 100Mbps extenders to a gigabit switch at the central location. With only 4-5 cameras per 100Mbps path, it adds up to 400Mbps on the gigabit switch, no lost frames, everything records as you would want.

Yes it is apparent that gigabit switches would have no problems with most modest setups however my question is: Would my 6 x3mp camera operate well with just 10/100 switches? The cameras so far run at 4000kb/s.

I have a switch in my garage to handle 3 cameras in that area and I have a 24 port desktop switch with 12 PoE ports. I have the switch in the garage with a gigabit uplink going into my gigabit 24 port switch. Both are managed, but that doesn't matter.

Heck, in one install with about 16 cameras, we have several locations, each linked with 100Mbps extenders to a gigabit switch at the central location. With only 4-5 cameras per 100Mbps path, it adds up to 400Mbps on the gigabit switch, no lost frames, everything records as you would want.

Yes it is apparent that gigabit switches would have no problems with most modest setups however my question is: Would my 6 x3mp camera operate well with just 10/100 switches? The cameras so far run at 4000kb/s.

Probably would, but price difference between 10/100 and 10/100/1000 is so marginal it's not even worth pondering which one to get. Especially if you're going to have the switches linked (Garage -> House -> Router). This way the first switch (garage) handles load from 3 cameras and the house switch handles load from 6 cameras (garage+3cameras). It might be enough for now, but when you notice you're not getting high enough quality from camera with 4Mbps and switch to 8Mbps and grab few extra cameras, 10/100's wont cut it for long..