Totalsecureguam

HD CVI installations

I am getting into this new format for security systems and am wondering about the cable type that would work.

They call for rg59 , which is no problem other than the size of the wire. If I am to install a 8 camera system , to run that many Siamese cables thru the wall the hole would have to be huge.

I have found some mini coax that may do the job for short runs. Although the cost is more expensive, the resulting installation would be better.

I have also heard of people using Cat5e and baluns with some success.

Short runs , I am thinking no more than 120 feet.

anybody have experience with this?? very curious, I don't want to stock all sorts of cables when I don't need them.

thanks

Al Kilgore

Looks like some color loss with cat 5 or 6 and some ghosting.

Should I be worried ?

these homes are small 40' x 60' at most

I need to make an order for the r59u soon for a project if so. If not solid core cat5e should do fine I think.

not sure about power consumption by hdcvi cameras

Some advice on the style and brand of coax cable ends, Twist on, compression or crimp style and what to stay away from. ( I have ordered crap Baluns and had to swap all out before ) so I want to get a decent quality piece.

Thanks

Al

RG59 will obviously have the better quality but Cat5e is good as well just don't use cheap baluns.

For coax ends use compression/push or crimp never twist.

Some advice on the style and brand of coax cable ends, Twist on, compression or crimp style and what to stay away from. ( I have ordered crap Baluns and had to swap all out before ) so I want to get a decent quality piece.

Thanks

Al

All types of BNC connectors work just fine as long as there's nothing wrong with the connector itself. If you have a particular connector that works for you already, just stick with it.

Baluns are more hit or miss unless you already have a reliable supplier. I would personally avoid using network cable (Cat5e or Cat6) altogether; you might find yourself in a situation where you're swapping it out almost immediately.

Solid copper RG59/U (20AWG) works just fine with no degradation whatsoever up to 1500 feet for sure. Dahua actually recommends something even higher quality similar to RG6, but I don't think it's necessary.

that's one of the many reasons why they are less expensive

i have only installed a handful of systems but i have already come across several

defective pre-made cables that came with the (all-in-one-box) type systems .

I think I would eliminate all possible headaches and go to a local supply house ,

get a bulk spool of solid core rg59 Siamese cable , a nice new compression tool ,

and some bnc compression connectors that the supply house sells to the installers .

do it once , do it right !

Why then does qsee package the same garbage pre-made cables with their sets? That's just wrong.

I can't speak for the quality of their pre-made cables, but the only response from people that I've seen is negative when compared to a similar system using RG59 instead.

I think it was just part of Q-See's way of marketing it to people who wanted to avoid replacing or using more expensive cabling. The pre-made cable works but it only works to serve up an inferior image quality.