Sign in to follow this  
300winmag

Dissapointed with AvertX

So after returning our Q-see systems to Costco we bought the $2500 "AvertX 8 Channel HD NVR Security System with 3TB HDD and 4 IP Auto focus Dome Cameras" system hoping it would work for us.

Nowhere did I see what the fps was, not on Costco's website, Avertx's website or the box/manual that came with the system.

I just assumed it was 30 fps, after all it is an expensive system. After hooking the first camera up I went to play with the NVR to see how it was... Well they only do 15 fps. $2500 for a four camera system it should be spitting gold bars at me damn it. Uhhh why is it so hard to find a decent system from somebody with a winning return policy like Costco. Anywho the day video was great but the night video was baaaaad, super grainy but a lot of people put that in their reviews of the system on costco.com so I expected it. The software on the NVR was nice and easy to use and the camera's are built like tanks. Just to bad I get a headache when watching 15 fps for any extended period of time. So back to costco they go. FYI, I emailed them asking if there was any setting I could change to get 30 fps per channel and they said I'm lucky to get 15 as most installations get 7 -10 fps.....

So now that I'm done with costco camera's anybody have a Canadian source for Dahua systems with great service?

The fps would not be a deal breaking limitation for me. 30fps is nice in analog, but absolute overkill with megapixel. Even 15fps is really too much, but 15fps for most people satisfies the sense of real time movement if they must have it. If you had gone further, the next biggest kick in the corn flakes would have been realizing that your 3tb hard drive was getting you nowhere with four cameras doing 15fps at highest settings. Which reminds me, what were the camera max resolution, 2mp? Do you know? What would be a deal breaker for me would be the cameras and what their max resolution is, as well as a mere 3tb hard drive. Plus the fact that for whatever reason, the cameras don't seem to be very good at night. But who's to say you didn't adjust some settings to help that, or they just plain suck. With HD systems, it only gets more expensive to learn that just buying a package deal really isn't the way to go if you have certain needs and expectations. You are better off fully understanding what you need, which specific gear delivers on those needs, and piecing a system together. If you pick dahua for example, you can pick from a number of nvr's and different dahua cameras to suit your needs AND, usually save money too...coming out with higher resolutions to boot. The only reason not to have a full 3mp system at this time is because you're stuck on frames per second. You should should seriously consider lowering your expectations there.

I hear what your saying

The 3MP was just a bonus, I was going to leave it at 1080p 30fps.

The cameras are 3mp, so says the sticker on the box... the cameras themselves say 2mp on them.

3TB is doable for me if it would have let me record 1080p at 30fps, I did have the option of another HD if i desiered.

Some people had a bit of success playing with the settings to reduce the noise but most didnt or felt it still wasn't good enough.

At first I wanted go with dahua but I didnt know anything about these systems so I chose to go with Costco but now I have a bit more knowledge I am definitely going that route. Just need to find a good Canadian source for dahua.

The fps would not be a deal breaking limitation for me. 30fps is nice in analog, but absolute overkill with megapixel. Even 15fps is really too much, but 15fps for most people satisfies the sense of real time movement if they must have it. If you had gone further, the next biggest kick in the corn flakes would have been realizing that your 3tb hard drive was getting you nowhere with four cameras doing 15fps at highest settings. Which reminds me, what were the camera max resolution, 2mp? Do you know? What would be a deal breaker for me would be the cameras and what their max resolution is, as well as a mere 3tb hard drive. Plus the fact that for whatever reason, the cameras don't seem to be very good at night. But who's to say you didn't adjust some settings to help that, or they just plain suck. With HD systems, it only gets more expensive to learn that just buying a package deal really isn't the way to go if you have certain needs and expectations. You are better off fully understanding what you need, which specific gear delivers on those needs, and piecing a system together. If you pick dahua for example, you can pick from a number of nvr's and different dahua cameras to suit your needs AND, usually save money too...coming out with higher resolutions to boot. The only reason not to have a full 3mp system at this time is because you're stuck on frames per second. You should should seriously consider lowering your expectations there.

Agreed. All of it.

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for you as far as Canadian suppliers are concerned. You may want to post a new thread regarding this.