Sign in to follow this  
Digiscan

Official/Proper way to wire this camera?

I have a switch in an unfinished area of the basement. A camera will be 60' away, with about 45' of that outdoors. I know I shouldn't use indoor rated cat5e, but I'm not convinced the uv will actually destroy it However, I'm willing to buy some indoor/outdoor stuff from Home Depot, which is solid, not stranded. Since it doesn't appear I can find stranded, outdoor rated Cat5e for a good price, it seems I have two choices:

1) Run the outdoor-rated solid in one run from camera to switch

2) Run the outdoor rated solid to just inside the basement, terminate at an rj45 jack or patch panel, and then use a smaller patch to the switch

Am I right to think that 2) is really the preferable way? It seems kind of overkill, though...? I don't own a patch panel and buying one and mounting it somewhere for this feels a bit over the top. I already have another camera running over 100 ft of patch, but only about 8" of that are directly exposed to sun, with the bulk indoors and it's been okay for a couple of years.

a single run is always better than a patched run. Folks only use patch panels for neatness, or they are concerned that there might be breakage of the cable is disturbed alot. I doubt you will have any issue using indoor cable outdoors..i have done this for years without issue. Just use good quality cable, Solid copper not copper clad aluminum or CCA. Home depot usually carries overpriced junk, buy from monoprice or cable matters on amazon.

a single run is always better than a patched run. Folks only use patch panels for neatness, or they are concerned that there might be breakage of the cable is disturbed alot. I doubt you will have any issue using indoor cable outdoors..i have done this for years without issue. Just use good quality cable, Solid copper not copper clad aluminum or CCA. Home depot usually carries overpriced junk, buy from monoprice or cable matters on amazon.

Thanks for the peace of mind. I think I will go that route. It's not the end of the world if I have to re-run it but I hate repeating work. I have at times a tendency to hilariously over-engineer (which is something a person sometimes does when they don't exactly know what they are doing, preparing for eventualities that will never occur) things to a totally pointless degree though and I'm starting to think that this is going that way if I set up a patch panel and insist only UV protected wires.

I have found many on google who talk about UV damage. I've heard indoor wire outside can die from UV from weeks to a year by people who've not done it, and then of those who have done it most are saying it has never gone bad, though one person said they had an indoor cable die after a year in florida. But then at least one other person claimed ethernet cables aren't waterproof even during the run, so

Apparently the darker the cable the better, though because then the UV has to slowly work its way through the wire. My three year old wire isn't complaining yet and it's white

UV will deteriorate your cables. Admittedly I work on a Port so there are more environmental variables but UV damage is definitely a reality. But in saying that the most damage I have seen is the colour fading but we replace all cables every 12 months. Now we only use the black outdoor rated stuff for all our outdoor runs.

Apparently the darker the cable the better, though because then the UV has to slowly work its way through the wire. My three year old wire isn't complaining yet and it's white

I've got a bunch of indoor white cables run under the eaves in Silicon Valley, where it's sunny most of the year (but not as intense as Florida), and no problems after a few years.

I worry more about the connectors than the cables, and have most of them in junction boxes, but also have several just hanging there. Again, no problems. YMMV, as usual!