dahomes555

System Design Software

To you professionals, what design software do you use?

I've been designing systems for years, often with basic software or hand drawings. We are doing a ton of business and I need a way to generate more professional plans, both for video work as well as fire/intrusion alarms and access control. I need to just buckle down and learn a CAD program, but not sure which one. There is obviously AUTOCAD, but it has been 15 years since I've used it and while it is certainly powerful, it may be overkill, as I'm trying to create something that I can work on quickly.

There are also well known programs like Visio and OmniGraffle, but I would like to hear your feedback and recommendations.

IMPORTANT FEATURES TO ME:

- Ability to import floor plans, either from PDF or from CAD, Visio, etc. While creating plan from scratch is obviously important, I often get plans/drawings from my clients and don't want to have to re-draw them.

- Ability to create an image library of simple drag and drop icons (cameras, alarm devices, fire alarm devices, access control devices, etc.)

- Ability to create wiring plans for installers.

- Ability to work on multiple layers so that I can create simple plan of device layout to show a client, or complex plan with full wiring diagram and installer notes.

Cost is not a huge factor to me, so long as it is within reason (few hundred bucks or less is fine). I run both Mac OSX or Windows 7, so operating system is really not a huge factor, though Mac would be preferred.

I can do my own storage calculations and lens calculations, so I'm not really looking for a "camera design software" per se. I'm more looking for a good, industry accepted design/engineer software.

Let me know if there is anything I'm missing or should be thinking of. I appreciate your feedback and recommendations.

ubiquity wireless has a product called airvison that comes with their cameras I don't care much for the cameras but the software is pretty cool also some of the cms software allows the import of floor plans where you can drop and drag cameras

Thanks. Do you have a link to it, by chance? I know Ubiquiti (agree that their cameras suck), but can't seem to find that tool on their website.