Sign in to follow this  
bradyboyy88

license required to install cameras?

Hey I was wondering if the state of maryland required a license to install cameras in other peoples homes and businesses? I cant seem to find anything online thats specific enough. I figure usibg poe required using a licensed electrician to run the cables just to be safe but even then yhats overkill with how small the watts is of the injectors I woulf be using. Anyway thanks in advance as usual

Your Best best is to call them and ask them about it. If anybody knows its them Also make sure you call the Fire Marshall and ask them, they can fine you BIG time and Shut You down operating without license.

Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing

State Board of Master Electricians

500 N Calvert St, Room 302

Baltimore, MD 21202-3651

(410) 230-6163

Fax (410) 333-6314

Your Best best is to call them and ask them about it. If anybody knows its them Also make sure you call the Fire Marshall and ask them, they can fine you BIG time and Shut You down operating without license.

Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing

State Board of Master Electricians

500 N Calvert St, Room 302

Baltimore, MD 21202-3651

(410) 230-6163

Fax (410) 333-6314

Thanks for the reply adelmo01. Funny thing is I work for the state haha, but for a unrelated division located right down the street from you on St. Paul! Do you know which state agency in particular I would most likely need to contact for such matters?I will definately ask the fire marshall to see what exactly is required for installing this type of wiring through houses.

Calvert County is the only place in Maryland that requires a license. There is an overall Security Technician

s license that is issued by the state, but it is NOT required to perform this type of work.

Calvert County is the only place in Maryland that requires a license. There is an overall Security Technician

s license that is issued by the state, but it is NOT required to perform this type of work.

So an eletrician isnt even needed to wire walls with ethernet which you will run POE? I mean my brother in laws dad does this kind of work so I was going to use him anyway but I figured that w as required.

THanks again for the answer.

No, POE is considered low voltage, so as long as the electrical circuits were installed to code and you are just plugging in devices to them, you are good to go. This advice is for Maryland only!

So an eletrician isnt even needed to wire walls with ethernet which you will run POE? I mean my brother in laws dad does this kind of work so I was going to use him anyway but I figured that w as required.

So that would be your father in law

Hey I was wondering if the state of maryland required a license to install cameras in other peoples homes and businesses? I cant seem to find anything online thats specific enough. I figure usibg poe required using a licensed electrician to run the cables just to be safe but even then yhats overkill with how small the watts is of the injectors I woulf be using. Anyway thanks in advance as usual

I guess, most state require a license to install cameras especially in other people's home or businesses.

So that would be your father in law

No, my sisters husbands dad hah!

Not on the side, I do it professionally.

Thats awesome. Do you own your own company or work under someone ? I was just learning this stuff as a hobby but it could definately be an awesome business. Its just been hard to find a constant flow of customers so far. I have been listing on CL but thats been somewhat slow and my website looks terrible . If I am going to make this work I need to put in more effort! I figure my day job would finance it as a weekend job and hopefully build it from there.