extrabigjon

wireless outdoor ip camera

First off. I am new to security cameras and have no experience with them. I am looking for a camera to monitor the auger for filling grain trucks out of a bin. Then I can watch the camera on a tablet inside the truck to know when to pull ahead. Instead of climbing in and out to check many times. I have a handful of tablets and a extra linksys wrt54g to use.

Depending on the auger that will be used the distance from camera mount to the end of the spout will be 30'-70'. The box of the truck is 20' front to rear. Will be using this at night also with a mercury vapor yard light or a 500 watt halogen work light. I'm know there is info I am leaving out.

Attached is a pic of what I am trying to do(not my pic)

456413973_camforauger.jpg.64a6d3be94e6fbd364425b516eda7b62.jpg

That is correct. Camera will not be mounted to the auger. It will be mounted to a solid object that does not vibrate while in use ie: ladder to grain bin or telephone pole. It will be moved around as needed.

Even though this camera will be wireless, it will still need power. Have you thought about a power source? Do you have one located near by?

Power will be ran through an outdoor extension cord to the camera. This camera will be used seasonally and taken down in the off season. Usage will be about 1-2 months of the year in the fall.

I was looking at a wireless camera because it will be moved to different locations. WiFi signal is already available at the bin site. I mentioned the spare wireless router on the off chance the signal was not strong enough. Then I would set it up on a separate network just for the cam and not connected to the internet. PTZ would be cool but overkill. A simple bullet style would work. I have looked at Ubiquity's AP for the house in the past, but setup is beyond my skillet.

since you need to run power as mentioned you are way better off with a poe camera. You just need to run a single thin Ethernet cable from your poe switch or injector to the camera and you wont have to worry about signal strength... Another option

since you need to run power as mentioned you are way better off with a poe camera. You just need to run a single thin Ethernet cable from your poe switch or injector to the camera and you wont have to worry about signal strength... Another option

I agree with Boogieman. You might think that a PTZ camera would be an overkill; however, once you set up one you'll come to realize it suits your purpose very well. Use the wireless for the router to the tablet...not the camera.

Honestly, the wireless ip camera seems the simplest solution. I looked at the foscams as an option, but I have concerns about quality from them. Everything in one package and easy to move from spot to spot. Everything will need to be mounted outdoors.

My next thought would be to get a wired bullet camera without poe. Get a weatherproof enclosure and mount it next to the camera. This would keep all the connections out of the weather and also house the wireless router. Still would have to run the extension cord for power which is not a problem.