slimcubby

How to decide which camera style you need?

I am looking to monitor my front door, garage, driveway and backyard. How do you find out what style bullet or dome and lens style you need for your application?

This is only MY view on the subject.

Box Cameras - can be fitted with large lens

needs enclosure for outside use

would not normally use in a residential situation

generally not very vandal proof if mounted low

Dome Cameras - generally limited as to the lens size (12mm)

more compact than box cameras

slightly more vandal resistant if mounted properly

Bullet Cameras - much the same as box cameras but don't need an enclosure

the cheaper ones come with very poor mounting hardware

Ball Cameras - my favourite for residential applications

compact & vandal resistant if mounted properly

usually limited to 12mm lens because of physical constraints

Thanks man that helps. Do you know wher I can get a breakdown of each type of system like PoE, BNC, Analog and DVR styles as well? How do I know which camera is the correct one I need when ordering on aliexpress.com?

Thanks man that helps. Do you know wher I can get a breakdown of each type of system like PoE, BNC, Analog and DVR styles as well? How do I know which camera is the correct one I need when ordering on aliexpress.com?

ok, stop, and start reading this and other forums first. Your first decision needs to be what type of system. If you dont know the difference between PoE, BNC, Analog and DVR styles you will end up with wasting money. If this is a new install your best bet is an IP system. You cannot just mix and match ip cameras and NVRS across brands it doesnt work that way. You will need to determine if you will use a standalone NVR or a PC based NVR (this will allow you to use various brands but is more technically complex)...

You may be better of with an IP system from costco (not analog or SDI, but IP)

This is my first system and at first I bought the below system from Costco but it's still in my trunk planning to return it. Ever since learning of this site and better systems I am wanting to setup my system over Ethernet instead of BNC like the one I currently have purchased. I'm hoping to keep my cost close to my original purchase and I'm thinking it's possible since I don't need 8 cameras. I wish there was a bit more explanation of each camera and dvr but maybe I just haven't found it yet on this site.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-720p-HD-Security-System-with-1TB-HDD-and-8-720p-Cameras.product.100121251.html

I am looking to monitor my front door, garage, driveway and backyard. How do you find out what style bullet or dome and lens style you need for your application?

It depends on the distance that you want view and the height or width that you need to capture in the image at the given distance.

My thought on this Lorex system is it seems like a great buy,and I would stick with it.

Not much information has been omitted. I mean your getting real time recording which is 30fps PER cam, but they dont mention at what resolution that 30fps is. Your getting 720tvl but they dont specify 1/3 or 1/4 sensors and what technology is included on the board. But your getting 1TB which you would have to add in the piece it together system.

The main question you had was about type of cam and their placement, these are all bullet weatherproof 3.6mm lenses with a 90 degree viewing angle and you have 8 cams which is plenty to view each entrance from two angles left and right.

Two notes regarding the system. One note is that you dont get a bnc or rca video output incase you wanted to send the video signal to a completely different room than the one with the DVR in it. Another note is to test the premade cables before installation that is mainly where any cost savings occurs. I say Even without the cables its still a great deal. If you find a bad cable replace it with siamese rg59 and get the screw on terminations.

good luck!

And if they mentioned the recording resolution and the respective fps share with us please.