clayrogers

Cameras Out In Parking Lot

I am trying to figure out a good way to put a couple of cameras out in our parking lot. The lot is very large (20 acres) and is shaped like an L towards the back.

We currently have wireless out in the lot for use by handheld tablets/devices. We use 2.4Ghz for client access with 5.8Ghz backhaul to the main building.

Is there a good IP camera solution I could piggy back on the 5.8Ghz backhaul connection? I realize video is high bandwidth though.

Let me know what ideas you have for something like this.

You can use cameras with on-board storage so you only do live viewing at low resolution, and download high res clips of historic events as needed.

Why not consider bullet security cameras. These types of cameras are usually used for outdoor monitoring and surveillance such as parking areas. As they have a wide viewing angle, they can capture the best footage possible.

I am OK with bullet cameras. The problem is with the amount of parking lot to cover and the fact that it is shaped like an L, I don't see how I can just mount the bullet cameras to the main building and expect to see most of the lot.

So, the issue is how to put cameras out in the lot mounted to light poles and have the video feed back to the main building.