buffbenj

Alarm for DVR?

Uninstalled my Samsung SHR-5080 CCTV DVR from my business when I closed it years ago. Now I want to use it for residential purposes. I have 5 Honeywell HD50 cameras (night vision and motion detection) and a few microphones. In addition to video & mic, I would like some sort of alarm system for motion detection at night. There is an alarm terminal set in the rear of the unit, with ports to connect many wires, some input, some output. Unfortunately, the user manual gives very little info about the alarm function. It says you can connect a RS-485 device, for example to control PTZ cameras. I dont have and dont need PTZ cams, but I do want to be alerted to motion in the middle of the night. Is this possible, using the motion sensors in my cameras? What additional equipment would I need? I would ask Samsung, but this is now a discontinued unit, and they dont support it any more. Thanx in advance.

Looney.thumb.jpg.514586be62d25071311db74eee621ec2.jpg

707502977_Looney001.thumb.jpg.4ef2a21e16d4500f718c70f4d27517ed.jpg

Your DVR can use the camera as "motion detection" that is if many pixels start to change so to speak, it works ok at best, but usually picks up a lot of false alarms, like shadows, leaves, bugs, etc especially when used outside.

You can add motion detectors like PIR motion detectors, they would be accurate then the built in detection in the DVR, however range will be limited to what the PIR would cover. But it will be more accurate, won't trip because of branches swaying in the wind, etc

RS-485 is a serial interface, you would not use that with motion detection, mostly to connect PTZ cameras

Inputs would be used for the motion detectors if you want PIR units

Outputs for triggering something in an event, basically it is a relay

The alarms on DVRs like that are for a security guard watching a bank of monitors 8 hours a day. Something happens and it draws the guard's attention to a particular monitor.

For an inside burglar alarm, you are best to install a burglar alarm [security] system.

For video systems, motion detection alarms can be used to determine what is recorded - record prior to, during, and after the alarms and not keep other recordings (saves disk space). Also to activate the recording of other cameras. Send emails, whatever. So it can do "automatic stuff" and also "alert someone stuff". But you don't want to be alerted each time that cat walks back and forth!

Thanks. My intent is to set up a buzzer or radio to come on to scare off varmits trying to get my animals. The green jacks in the rear of the DVR for the alarm function sure are strange shaped. Gonna try to take a close up photo. User manual doesnt give much help.