Sign in to follow this  
mettlus

Hard Drive Unrecognized!!!

I have a Chinese made H.264 Four Channel DVR, is there a specific specification when buying a HD for it? Unfortunately I bougt 2-3 Hard Drives with various capacities ranging from 250GB to 1TB but all of them are unrecognized. the system touts that it can support upto 2TB HD but not in mycase.

Somewhere I found a 80GB HD in my storage and apparently that works, but i am only left with 2 days worth of recording so I am looking for a bigger capacity HD

Please advice

Thanks a lot

Did you test the drives in another machine?

Also, if these are used drives, it might not be a bad idea to Zero them out, look for Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) it is bootable CD image

Unplug the drive in the computer that you want to use

and

connect the drives you want to delete and run this utility (the CD will boot into its own OS and give you options, you can change the option to a single pass, it will be quicker and the larger the drive, the longer it takes)

it is a dangerous utility so make sure you are deleting the drives you want, not your system drive (that is why you should unplug it)

Did you test the drives in another machine?

Yes 1 drive was bought brand new, other were bought from eBay. Yes I have a USB Dock, through which I had reformatted all of them with my MAC and also UBUNTU, still no luck

Also, if these are used drives, it might not be a bad idea to Zero them out, look for Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) it is bootable CD image

Unplug the drive in the computer that you want to use

and

connect the drives you want to delete and run this utility (the CD will boot into its own OS and give you options, you can change the option to a single pass, it will be quicker and the larger the drive, the longer it takes)

it is a dangerous utility so make sure you are deleting the drives you want, not your system drive (that is why you should unplug it)