rory

Preview - Kalatel KTC-840CE ExView Extended IR Camera

1/3" Exview (Sony) Had CCD, 480TVL, 0.1 Lux (0.01 Lux Faceplate), 0 lux under IR Light, 520/60 lines, >50Db

The (GE) Kalatel KTC-840CE is impressive, evenly switches between color & bw with flashing light in low light, in other words in a dark room with the TV on, as the TV image changes, the light in the room changes from brighter to darker, from color to BW evenly while still giving a high resolution image. For the price, a better choice than the day night camera which costs double, though has a lower lux level and higher res in BW mode. Also, the KTC-840CE uses infrared light to produce brighter images in pitch dark, tested with a ir bullet's IR leds.

Image in fully lit room is great also. A decent High Resolution color camera, for day and night.

It also accepts an optional adapter for Fiber or UTP.

Will test in a night club's dance floor and post some more info next week.

Rory

Let me know how your testing goes. Do you know if it uses a moving IR filter? I expect it does as it is IR sensitive.

I would like to know how it copes switching under strong IR. Usually these type of cameras switch on light level and this can cause issues when using alot of IR.

In colour it isn't IR sensitive, it gets dark so the camera switches to mono (and moves the IR filter). Once the filter is out the camera can see IR and if there is a lot of it the camera thinks it is daylight and switches back. This makes the camera switch between day and night.

Usually these cameras come with an external contact input to allow the switching to be driven by the IR photocell. This camera doesn't look like it has one. If they have cracked this it will be interesting.

Hi

I was actually wondering, the day night camera, I guess the Color/BW one that costs double, is just that it gets High res BW an lower lux BW, in BW mode, while this one stays the same res and same lux, but will recognise IR lighting, does this sound right?

With 6 IR leds it switches fast enough. No external contact. I have used a Sanyo Day/Night that had something that goes across the lens, which means its a little slow in changing to BW, but It works with 2 UF500 IR LEDs. At first though I had too much glare like on a tree, which made it keep switching, but got that fixed by getting rid of th strong glare. That one had a external contact. Not sure if the Day Night (KTC-2000) Kalatel model has a contact or not, this exview version does not though.

I have a DR-1800VFA in my hands tonight to set up, test, its a day night Dome, 1 lux in color, 0.1 lux in BW. Will let you know how this dome is.

One thing to note, the Kalatel Exview camera, is much better than the other Exviews I have used in the past, like Provideo for example, and even an older Kalatel Exview from 2-3 years ago. I guess its using a newer chip, new technology from Sony?

Rory

one thing I do like with the Kalatel Descreet cameras (mini domes etc), they come with everything you need, BNC connector, power splice connector, etc. and 12DC or 24VAC power supply. Really they now give you everything you need without having to go to somewhere like radio shack.

I want to try a Ganz next. They look even easier to install.

I am at an exhibition next week I will go to their booth and have a look at it. The important thing is does it move the IR cut filter. If you take the lens off and look at the CCD all colour cameras should have a blue ish piece of glass (actually crystal) over the CCD.

This is an IR cut filter - it stops IR passing through it. It is there for correct colour reproduction. Colour CCDs are about as sensitive to IR as monochrome CCDs.

Look to see if there is someway that the camera moves this and replaces it with a clear piece of glass. That switch is what you will have seen on the Sanyo.

When the IR cut filter is out you are IR sensitive. It is like taking sunglasses off the camera. This is what makes the camera more sensitive. The switch to monochrome doesn't improve the sensitivity. You just do that as the colour are wrong without the filter.

One thing to note, the Kalatel Exview camera, is much better than the other Exviews I have used in the past, like Provideo for example, and even an older Kalatel Exview from 2-3 years ago. I guess its using a newer chip, new technology from Sony?

I doubt it is a new chip, I think we had this argument with someone in another post but the EXView we though overshoots, well my point was that its not so much that the chip is to blame more the controlling electronics.. hence why there are cheap ExViews and expensive ones.

Exview was a clever design to focus more light onto the pixels of a sensor and fill the gaps, but controlling that input still needs to be done by the camera.

As far as I.R goes I dont know a lot I do know this though.. I only sell the expensive ones, the reasons are that my korean cam has a Built In Photcell to detct I.R and the Japanese ganz (god bless it) has an I.R cut filter.. mind you it is not very cheap. I strongly recommend the later to anyone, because it has the options for digatlly set wide dynamics or for Backlight Compensation for zones.. this is imperative if you want to use such strong backlighting as the camera thinks with an I.R booster like the likes of Extreme.

one thing I do like with the Kalatel Descreet cameras (mini domes etc), they come with everything you need, BNC connector, power splice connector, etc. and 12DC or 24VAC power supply. Really they now give you everything you need without having to go to somewhere like radio shack.

Dont you mean they really know how to UPSELL

Actually it is better than having to work it out.. but the kalatel gear is rather exy for what it gives you.

This is an IR cut filter - it stops IR passing through it. It is there for correct colour reproduction. Colour CCDs are about as sensitive to IR as monochrome CCDs

Usually you can hear this device move as a motor needs to shift it... Mind you they might just like to do this to show off... I mean you don't need a fat exhaust on your car. but it sure sounds sweet!!