Kangaman

Q-See QC8116-9V4-3 Is this a good system?

Looking to add a video security system to my house. I see that the QC8116-9V4-3 is IP based and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

I was also wondering if this system can be setup without have a monitor connected. My plan is to place cameras on the outside of the house and run them to a central location/dvr (placed in the attic), then run a single cat cable to my network. really trying to avoid having a dedicated setup for this.

Thanks

Paul

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Link to device.

http://www.q-see.com/16-channel-nvr-with-3mp-cameras-and-3tb-hard-drive-qc8116-9v4-3/

Q-See is generally regarded as entry-level stuff sold at big-box stores, but will most likely get the job done for basic home surveillance. Those do look nicer than the Q-See stuff of yester-year that I've seen. Although, if you get really into the hobby, you may find yourself wanting to upgrade rather quickly, as I did. I'm on my third or fourth system now at my house.

You'll probably need a monitor connected initially to set up everything (I'm not aware of those DVR's being able to be configured remotely from scratch). Once you're set up and running, you can unplug the monitor. BUT --I wouldn't recommend putting a DVR in your attic unless your attic is air conditioned. Otherwise, it'll overheat in a hurry and you'll be buying a new system much sooner than you expected

16 Channels is a lot of cameras for a house!

Thanks for the tips. Was going to use the attic as the reviews mention that the system can be a bit noisy. You are correct - it does get hot in our attic. Hmm.

Was going with the 16 cam system and it includes 9 cameras and figured that I may want to possible add some internal ones eventually. better to have more ports than less.

I have seen that others are using something called Dahua?

Was hoping to go for the easiest and little maintenance system..

Paul