Sign in to follow this  
jagbuilt

overhead Cash register cam

Hi. I am installing a lower end system at a restaurant, (unfortunately, the budget they are giving me is under a thousand for everything, so it looks like maybe Swann or q-see or something along those lines). Sooo, I am looking for the best option for an overhead camera, for 10 foot ceilings, that will give me a clear view of who's hands are in the register, and one that is clear enough to identify the money they are handling. (Sadly, the owner is loosing about $3000.00 annually to the old slide of the hand, but doesn't want to spend the big bucks for security) This will be used on an eight channel 960H DVR. I am thinking a dome PTZ that is around $150 give or take, but open to a better way... Thanks in advance...

jag.

Sit this guy down and tell him what an idiot he is. He is loosing $3000 annually (and thats the money he knows about) but only wishes to allocate 1k for security....that makes a lot of sense... You are not getting a good ptz for 150...get a varifical camera so you can adjust the zoom during installation.

$1000 should be enough for two hd varifocal domes above and behind the register, one directly over to see the money going in and one behind or infront to see whos at the register, behind would show the customer giving the money.

Whatever is left can be put for fake domes or cheap domes to prevent employee time theft. Later slowly he can add more cams or upgrade them. Deal with the bigger issue first. And get good cables.

$1000 should be enough for two hd varifocal domes above and behind the register, one directly over to see the money going in and one behind or in front to see who is at the register, behind would show the customer giving the money.

Whatever is left can be put for fake domes or cheap domes to prevent employee time theft. Later slowly he can add more cams or upgrade them. Deal with the bigger issue first. And get good cables.

I like this idea. I will look at vari focal cameras for this set up for sure. Add cameras as he can afford it is good too, he is a cash and carry kind of guy.

Cables: I got a deal recently on 1000 foot spools of Beldon rg6 and rg6 quad. I bought them at $25.00 per spool from a supplier that is going out of business. This cable was a really nice upgrade for my own lower end home system. I plan on using a central power supply box with 18/2 wire for power. The spaghetti string cables that come with these "kits" are just useless in my humble opinion. The shortest run will be about 60 ft. and the longest will be just over 100 ft.

Thanks for the advice.

jag

$1000 should be enough for two hd varifocal domes above and behind the register, one directly over to see the money going in and one behind or in front to see who is at the register, behind would show the customer giving the money.

I like this idea. I will look at vari focal cameras for this set up for sure. Add cameras as he can afford it is good too, he is a cash and carry kind of guy.

Cables: I got a deal recently on 1000 foot spools of Beldon rg6 and rg6 quad. I bought them at $25.00 per spool from a supplier that is going out of business. This cable was a really nice upgrade for my own lower end home system. I plan on using a central power supply box with 18/2 wire for power. The spaghetti string cables that come with these "kits" are just useless in my humble opinion. The shortest run will be about 60 ft. and the longest will be just over 100 ft.

Thanks for the advice.

jag

You cannot use that cable with HD cameras unless you are going to use sdi or something like that which should not be used in a new install. Run ethernet and use something like hikvision 2732 that has an sd card if you dont want to invest in an NVR.

I started to mention that.... If I go HD (which I hope and pray he will spring for) I have spools of cat6 as well (I do network installation too). PoE is really great. I like the quality looking video of the hikvision 2732. By the way, concerning these spools of Belden RG6 and RG6 quad shield that I bought, I will eventually use them for this and that. (6 new shrink wrapped spools in all for 25 bucks a piece, 3 black and 3 white), It won't hurt anything to use those on short runs with 960H dvr's will it? I know it is a bit of an overkill, but for the money, I couldn't pass it up.

For my own home system, I used the regular black rg6, and my video is about 80% improved over the thin shoe strings that came with the Swann 4200 kit. (It was an inexpensive kit. I am trying to get the "DVD quality they advertise, but that is a discussion for another topic, lol)

Thanks for the reply's. I can't even tell you how much it means to get advice from the pro's...

jag.

Point is not HD or Analog type. You have to check how focal length for camera, and how wide scene catch at the cash table.

I see what you mean. for the overhead cash camera, I don't want a super wide angle lens, and it only needs to have a short focal length, and I can achieve that with a good vairi-focal, (whether it is analog or HD) correct?

Thanks again.

jag.

Hello Jag,

Yes and you better make phiscal testing on site for your client and make sure how wide scene they are acceptable. Because at present, we also support one client to reslove similar case. The shop owner not only desire to identify the monsy but also want conver case table where is about 98.4" wide and celing height 118" .