gatorsnake

New Neighborhood System

I have been reading through these boards trying to educate myself, and am very appreciative of the community here. I am a super newbie, but I am hoping to implement a street-wide camera system that would be accessible by everyone on our street. I would very much appreciate any feedback on how to do this, or if something wont work in how I describe it, to please let me know why. This goes for hardware, software and overall system design. Any help is much appreciated!! Here are the specifics:

We live on a 10-house cul-de-sac. All houses are willing to participate. I am thinking 6-8 IP cameras strategically placed in attic windows will be able to fully cover all viewing angles of the street. I want to supplement these regular cameras with one higher end camera positioned to capture license plates of cars leaving the cul-de-sac.

-All cameras should have good low-light (IR?) capabilities

-Im thinking for ease of installation and access that they should be wifi cameras, that would each connect to that house's wifi network then on to a dvr stored at one of our houses

-I want the dvr accessible to everyone on the street (password protected) including access on ipads/tablets/etc.

Thats basically all I have so far. Just looking for something relatively simple, share-able, relatively inexpensive, but effective. I'm thinking around $5k total for budget.

I welcome your thoughts!

1) forget about wifi

2) you wont capture anything useful with cameras mounted high up in the attic also you cannot have ir pass though the attic window...you will either need to have external ir or better yet mount the camera outside like its supposed to be..

3) You are probably best off storing locally to SD cards in each camera

I have been reading through these boards trying to educate myself, and am very appreciative of the community here. I am a super newbie, but I am hoping to implement a street-wide camera system that would be accessible by everyone on our street. I would very much appreciate any feedback on how to do this, or if something wont work in how I describe it, to please let me know why. This goes for hardware, software and overall system design. Any help is much appreciated!! Here are the specifics:

We live on a 10-house cul-de-sac. All houses are willing to participate. I am thinking 6-8 IP cameras strategically placed in attic windows will be able to fully cover all viewing angles of the street. I want to supplement these regular cameras with one higher end camera positioned to capture license plates of cars leaving the cul-de-sac.

-All cameras should have good low-light (IR?) capabilities

-Im thinking for ease of installation and access that they should be wifi cameras, that would each connect to that house's wifi network then on to a dvr stored at one of our houses

-I want the dvr accessible to everyone on the street (password protected) including access on ipads/tablets/etc.

Thats basically all I have so far. Just looking for something relatively simple, share-able, relatively inexpensive, but effective. I'm thinking around $5k total for budget.

I welcome your thoughts!

For future-proofing, I would definitely go with an IP based system. I would say that your budget may not be enough. Remember you have wire run limits and assuming you were planning to run the camera from each house to one switch or NVR you will encounter problems. I would go with cameras at each location and have a Ubiquiti radio at each camera (they are about $100 each) and have it aimed at a central station. This way all you need to do is get power to a switch at each camera and then buy POE cams and the radios are POE as well.

Without a diagram with distances and specific mounting locations it would be difficult to design a system.

I disagree, the budget is overkill....install a hikvision camera at each house with a 64gb sd card....the new 3mp with 80m ir and sd card http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014101311390770075.pdf

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/new-2014-Original-HIKVISION-3MP-IR-Mini-EXIR-Bullet-Outdoor-Network-Camera-waterproof-infrared-80M-support/32224546393.html You need to confirm sd card option (its in the spec sheet but not in the details here)

Total cost for 8 cams is just over 1k....the its all about running the cable and mounting...

you can stream each cam over the internet to an nvr if you wish but its probably not needed 64gb will give you two or 3 days...if you want to use an nvr add a couple hundred....

I disagree, the budget is overkill....install a hikvision camera at each house with a 64gb sd card....the new 3mp with 80m ir and sd card http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014101311390770075.pdf

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/new-2014-Original-HIKVISION-3MP-IR-Mini-EXIR-Bullet-Outdoor-Network-Camera-waterproof-infrared-80M-support/32224546393.html You need to confirm sd card option (its in the spec sheet but not in the details here)

Total cost for 8 cams is just over 1k....the its all about running the cable and mounting...

you can stream each cam over the internet to an nvr if you wish but its probably not needed 64gb will give you two or 3 days...if you want to use an nvr add a couple hundred....

How do you suggest he run cat6 cables from each house to one NVR for streaming? I guess wireless cams would work if he can get them all to connect to one network (can use additional routers as bridges as well).

How do you suggest he run cat6 cables from each house to one NVR for streaming? I guess wireless cams would work if he can get them all to connect to one network (can use additional routers as bridges as well).

Im going to assume that each house has internet...one camera streaming over the net is no big deal...but with cards in each cam he probably wont even need to do that...

Wireless cams are a horrible idea...

Im going to assume that each house has internet...one camera streaming over the net is no big deal...but with cards in each cam he probably wont even need to do that...

Wireless cams are a horrible idea...

But you are also assuming each person is going to want to have holes drilled and cables ran through their homes. Also, the addition of if a persons network drops the camera does also. I would never suggest wireless cameras to a customer but it might be a solution here. I was under the impression that he is looking to centralize the storage and viewing of cameras (pulling data into one location). I would prefer to keep everything in one network to minimize complexity.

But yes, cams with local storage are always the quickest and easiest solution.

Smart PSS (dahua) might have an easy way to record remote cameras onto a remote PC....not so sure about their NVRs.

Whenever I install Smart PSS there's always an option to include a PC NVR option (2 checkboxes, smart pss & this other I'm referring to).

Most of the devices in this picture are remote DVRs/NVRs..... IPC = IP Camera

355745292_smartpss.thumb.jpg.a3af7f399e7e38344c047fbdcd058309.jpg

The newest version of SmartPSS installs PC-NVR whether you want it or not. Dahua's PC-NVR does exactly what you're describing though. It's just a basic recording platform so there aren't many thrills there, but it gets the job done.

My only issue with something like that has always been the fact that they tax most processors to the point of not being able to multitask on the computer anymore. If you want a dedicated PC based NVR, there's definitely better options for software. I view this as more of a temporary or momentary solution for recording.

I'm guessing cameras at different houses on different networks could be added to a NVR....just tried it via the web interface on a local machine with a remotely located camera that I can log into with the :correct port added to the address.

I used the ddns address :random (verified accessible via standard web browser). I tried leaving the ddns prefix blank, http://www.ddns, http://ddns:port

haven't found the trick

1730969419_dahuaremote.thumb.jpg.d86459ba9af0318205f5c66e5caaf52e.jpg