Kawboy12R

Is the public viewing your "private" cameras right now?

There is software out there that scans the Internet for exposed cameras, DVRs, etc with default passwords, aggregates them, locates them on Google Maps, and sorts them by country, state, province, and city. Someone can go on this site and look for "interesting" things in their city. There are news articles online about places like tattoo parlours with exposed cameras viewing their tattoo beds. Some people get some REALLY private locations pierced and tattooed.

Insecam has been mentioned on here before but it is worth reminding people of two things. First and most important- CHANGE THE DEFAULT PASSWORD AS THE FIRST THING YOU DO when installing your own system or one for someone else. Second, don't expose your cameras etc to the internet. It's one thing to be a random IP address somewhere in the world with someone watching your front porch but quite another to be geolocated and spied upon when "they" know roughly where you are, particularly if you have a camera or two inside your home, viewing your fenced-in "private" pool, or "protecting" a cash register at a business.

www.insecam.com

Are YOU or your neighbours online for all to watch? If so, fix yours and let them know. Know somebody who is talking about putting in a new system? Tell them to change the password(s) as the first thing they do.

Just because you can't find your system on the Insecam.com site today doesn't mean their webcrawler won't find your IP next week. UPDATE ALL DEFAULT PASSWORDS!

Why post the site? Many people won't belive or won't act without proof. Seeing is believing. It isn't a big secret, so why not make believers here, where many casual CCTVers get their start? Apart from shutting down every single site and tool that searches the net for easy pickings, what else do you suggest? Apart from forcing all manufacturers to create individual unique default passwords for each device based on, say, the serial number, what else can they (or we) do besides educate? Posting the site is like taking a kid to a farm to drink milk straight from a cow. They're a believer after they do it once. Telling them in a classroom or reading about it online just isn't the same.

Many people are like me. I like to learn from the mistakes of others. I don't have time to make them all myself.

The website is new ...... IP and port sniff

You don't help by posting it ...... Your helping

Give long post about warning people then leave link to get into the problem

Pretending the problem doesn't exist doesn't fix the problem. The short term pain of proving the importance of my point is worth the long term gain of hopefully fixing most if not all of the problems. Many of the better installers on here should also be in favour of exposing lousy install jobs by amateurs and trunk-slammers. The higher the bar you set for the industry the better it becomes.

Pretending the problem doesn't exist doesn't fix the problem. The short term pain of proving the importance of my point is worth the long term gain of hopefully fixing most if not all of the problems. Many of the better installers on here should also be in favour of exposing lousy install jobs by amateurs and trunk-slammers. The higher the bar you set for the industry the better it becomes.

Your right it does not stop the problem .... My point is you post a link direct to the snoop.

Cctv forum with DIYErs who don't have software protection and giving there IP to insecam

You have put 100s of systems at risk with your link

Why not put microsofts warning or one of 100s on web

So, you know for a fact that the site scans all connecting systems for vulnerable cameras and adds them to the database to help speed up their random webcrawler?

So, you know for a fact that the site scans all connecting systems for vulnerable cameras and adds them to the database to help speed up their random webcrawler?

Yes I do ...... DNS linked none trace IP .... Location Russia ..... But then a China link.

Short term host created July 2014

but I thought you would of checked IP before leaving link to steel forum members IP

Good stuff Kawboy. Grab yourself a new set of spurs out of petty cash. I saw this site yesterday from a link posted at another site.

I cant imagine silencing this would benefit anyone, thanks for sharing.

Curious if this is legal here? some of the videos are not in public view and are private. I would think this will get shut down.

Yes I do ...... DNS linked none trace IP .... Location Russia ..... But then a China link.

Short term host created July 2014

but I thought you would of checked IP before leaving link to steel forum members IP

You don't know for certain they are recording incoming IPs and checking those for cameras. It makes sense that they would, though.

I did check this from home and failed to VPN first, but the site is terrible. Worthlessly slow. I've seen it posted all over the web so many people have gone to it for sure. My cameras email me on a failed login attempt. I've received no such emails, though I don't know if that site uses the TCP entrance and whether other ways to get at the cams would not fire that email.

IP address does not give one's location very specifically, just the location of their provider. You would have to know an area quite well to combine them while scouting a residence, and then if anything it's warning you not to attack that residence for theft because, as you can tell, they have a video camera system

I don't see a benefit to hiding this site. Anybody who wants this could easily find it on google anyway, so hiding it now would not help people much.

I did check this from home and failed to VPN first, but the site is terrible. Worthlessly slow. I've seen it posted all over the web so many people have gone to it for sure. My cameras email me on a failed login attempt. I've received no such emails, though I don't know if that site uses the TCP entrance and whether other ways to get at the cams would not fire that email.

I doubt they do any recording. They seem to just be taking a snapshot of the camera whener you try to see it, that is why the site loads so slow. I did watch some snapshots, and they all showed the current date/time. I do not think they have any reasons to keep any screenshots/recordings.

I also have my devices warning me when there is a failed login attempt. I never get any warnings (I do not use default ports). What I have seen is that a failed login attempt on the device does email me a warning, but a failed login attempt on the RTSP ports does not. So if someone tried the default login/passwords on any of my open RTSP ports, I think I would not even notice.

I also have my devices warning me when there is a failed login attempt. I never get any warnings (I do not use default ports). What I have seen is that a failed login attempt on the device does email me a warning, but a failed login attempt on the RTSP ports does not. So if someone tried the default login/passwords on any of my open RTSP ports, I think I would not even notice.

Ah interesting. Yeah so that confirms my fear. I never bothered testing it, since I wasn't going to take any action in any case at this time.

I don't run default ports, but I have no idea how much that really helps. I think scanning ports is quite quick, and no clue what/if anything my router's firewall would do about it.

Tom, I respect your experience and knowledge, but I've seen no evidence to support your claims that that site does anything but do what it says it does- a general Internet port scanning. If you can tell us what software you use to detect a port scan from them or otherwise prove your point, please share. I'm not sure if typing is hard for you or if English isn't your first language, but if it's typing then perhaps you could try voice recognition software so that you can share easier with us. There are also online translation tools. Full sentences and more detail would be great.

The only valid reason for me not linking to that site is if it did some port scanning or malicious attack when a user clicked on it. If someone can prove it then I'll remove it, but I've had no malicious connections here that I can tell. I'm not saying that my firewall, router, antivirus, and antimalware protection is perfect and would necessarily protect and/or alert me to everything but I've detected nothing strange here from when I first clicked it 'til now. That's why I linked it- no harm detected, no harm known, and my system is equipped to notify me. I'm not a network engineer or IP guru by any means but this ain't my first rodeo.

I'm of the opinion that sunlight is the best antiseptic. Folks needs to know about their vulnerabilities. That includes me- if someone is gathering information about my system I want to know about it. If I'm wrong prove it and point me in the right direction to learn about it and stop it.

Also, if someone has a spare camera that they don't mind port forwarding and leaving with a default password, maybe they could point it at a picture of a one-fingered salute and see if it gets added to the site. That way they'll know they're number one.

Why turn it personal Kawboy ?

Click on profile been on a few years .... And I think over 5000 post even you can work out I can type english.

I'll. Try to explain a little better for you and leave more info on insecam so you can check it out your self.

There are many IP trackers on the net ..... Don't use a free service buy a good one. Then check IP 88.212.208.213

It's server is based in Russia... Then do a port sniff ....... I will explain there port later.

Like you have seen on Google all the information about insecam and it's the likes of avtech hik and other LINUX systems.

And also as you would of read about insecam they use an Algerithum to look for factory settings I.e passwords ports that installers do not bother to change.

Now go back and look into the insecam IP.

First it is looking for DDNS or no-IP accounts. ( your link is helping because you have posted it on a cctv forum ) otherwise they would have to scan millions of IPs

I think you know how telnet works ??

Well the port sniff that IP has is port 22 and its SSH. (Bit like telnet)

Your not going to stop it on your router or see it on your pc as it is open at DDNS or no-IP account. (It's open)

So.

Click on insecam web that scans DDNS accounts Algerithum goes to work looking for your DVR (direct) it's not an attack on your network it's just using your IP because you click on its website and it connects to Dvr ( and only successful if dvr is left in factory)

It is now worth checking for people to check the login details on there dvr ....... See if a IP has loged on that you don't recognise

But yes it is good to make it clear DONT LEAVE DVR in factory settings

Site has been all over the news including CNN, authorities have since taken the site down (thankfully), ironically the owner of the site is now putting up his skills for sale on the same site.

( your link is helping because you have posted it on a cctv forum ) otherwise they would have to scan millions of IPs

Kawboy posting that link is a non-issue. There is free open-source software available now that can scan the entire Internet in mere minutes. Any cameras that are out there have already been found many times over.