PA2001

Cores

Running 2 Geovision systems.

System #1 is a pc with a Geovision dvr card (1480) and is a mix of analog and IP cameras using 32 channels.

System #2 is a pc running Geovision NVR with IP cams only using 32 channels.

Both systems have the same hardware.

#1 runs great and shows that it is using 8 cpu cores in Task Manager.

#2 is a little sluggish and shows that it is using only 4 cpu cores in Task Manager.

Is there a way to get pc #2 to use all 8 cores?

Thanks.

Paul

Hi - I found this on toms hardware :-

You can't force parallelism on a piece of software, such as a game. If the software is sequential in nature, that is, there are not tasks that can be worked on separately at the same time, in parallel, then there is nothing for the other cores to work on, it will only utilize one CPU core.

The key is that the software must be designed to be parallel, to be broken up into independent threads or tasks, if possible. While hardware is very advanced in this area, with CPUs with up to 12 cores, the software side of the equation is very different. Most software can only use one or two cores. A good example of an exception to this is video encoding, something like HandBrake, which will use as many cores as you have. Working with images and videos is an inherently parallel process, so these tasks can be broken up into as many smaller, independent tasks, as there are CPU cores to work on them.

see:-

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2122324/force-games-cpu-cores.html

Normally any software which can take advantage of multiple cores will automatically use all available cores without any special action on your part. Are you sure there are 8 cores actually available on PC #2? For example an i5 without HyperThreading will only have 4 cores available for software to use. If the CPU is an i7, maybe the BIOS in PC #2 has a setting that disables HyperThreading?

Also, are you running the same Geovision software on both systems? Same version? All configuration settings the same?

Normally any software which can take advantage of multiple cores will automatically use all available cores without any special action on your part. Are you sure there are 8 cores actually available on PC #2? For example an i5 without HyperThreading will only have 4 cores available for software to use. If the CPU is an i7, maybe the BIOS in PC #2 has a setting that disables HyperThreading?

Also, are you running the same Geovision software on both systems? Same version? All configuration settings the same?

8 cores are available according to the task manager.

Both systems are the same as far as cpu and motherboard.

Same version of Geovision running on both systems (Version 8.5.9.0). One is DVR-1480 and the other is NVR only.

Have not checked the bois yet. Will do tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions.