Sign in to follow this  
marcodt

Advice on setting up home security cameras for first time!

Hello everyone, I would like to setup security cameras around the house. I have a strong background with computers and most technology so I assume it shouldn't be too difficult. My budget is around $2000 and need 8 cameras (5 outdoor, 3 indoor) and I was looking into these cameras specifically:

http://www.costco.ca/Swann%E2%84%A2-...100115809.html

My main purpose is to monitor the house at night. I would like to setup the cameras in such a way that I can turn the television to a channel and see all the cameras and choose to zoom into specific ones. I would like ones that can be rotated as well. My dad will be viewing these cameras often as he is confined to a bed 24/7 so his main concern is to monitor the nurses that come in and out of our house.

Our electrician in the family ran CAT 5 (ethernet) cable to each location where we want the camera.

Is this all that is needed to supply power and everything to each camera?

Are those cameras I chose a good choice for our house? Is this easy to set up? What steps must I follow in order to do this? I don't know much about these home security systems and would like to learn.

Thanks!

If this is what you are referring to...its a good system.

http://www.costco.ca/Swann%E2%84%A2-16-channel-HD-NVR-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-HD-1080p-Camera-Kits.product.100115809.html?catalogId=11201&keyword=100115809&langId=-24&storeId=10302&refine=

They are rebranded hikvision cameras and NVR...

If by rotate you mean pan tilt zoom you are talking 600-2000 per camera depending on the features..remember you cannot just mix and match cameras and NVR's..

You will not be able to use your tv to bring a camera to full screen unless you figure out a way to remotely control your nvr or use an android stick with an app to view cams on the tv...If you want to just change to a channel without having to change the input you will need an rf modulator and will loose image quality...my advice is to keep reading so you learn more before you buy

This is part of what aggravates me about Costco systems. The cameras are capable of 3 megapixels but the NVR can only do 1080p.

Good point although i run those cameras at 1080p anyways because it provides a wider angle of horizontal view...

This is part of what aggravates me about Costco systems. The cameras are capable of 3 megapixels but the NVR can only do 1080p.

Good point although i run those cameras at 1080p anyways because it provides a wider angle of horizontal view...

Don't get me wrong, I love the hardware, but sometimes I just don't understand how Costco is putting these systems together.

Okay so can anyone help me pick one out for my house? I just need 8 HD cameras for my dad that I can change the television input to HDMI and view the cameras. If i can zoom in that would be good too.

Unless you commit to having nothing but PTZ cameras, you're going to have to settle for digital zoom. The other option would be cameras with motorized lenses but much like PTZ cameras, they don't come cheap.

You need to sit down and figure out what features you realistically need in the cameras. Once you know, people can start making specific suggestions.

As far as getting everything on your TV and still being able to manipulate the cameras, the easiest way is to just plop the NVR down right next to it. If you don't like that idea, then you need to figure out a way to remotely control it like Boogieman said.