NOLA

New Guy Question

Sorry, I've been out of town for a couple days.

The cable is RG6U. 75 ohm coaxial, 60% shield. And yes, it has a foil shield in it. It is listed in the catalog where they order from as CCTV coaxial, and is labled as communications cable on the box.

I'm new to the whole CCTV thing. I did electronics in the Navy before this. I'm just working with the stuff I have been given to do the job. They keep giving me a paycheck and I'll keep working with the stuff they give me until I move.

I have to say though, this has been some pretty fun, interesting stuff to learn. Just reading the stuff on the forum here has been a great help.

NCPILOT....Jazz Fest is almost here. No better time to visit in my opinion.

Get you some Abita, oysters, and some crawfish bread while you are there and you'll be bound to run into me

Edited by Guest

The problem could be the 60% shielding the CCTV cable should be 95% copper shielding.

You might try some different cable.

I've never seen foil in CCTV cable, only in cable TV for houses. kg6mti is correct, always use 95% copper shielded cable (with no foil)

Good to know. From this point on I will use the correct cable. If I have to rerun the aprox 130 other camera lines in the hotel I'm gonna cry though. I think only a couple dozen of them are the copper shielded cable. Apparetnly the guy before me didn't know what he was doing either.

I've never seen foil in CCTV cable, only in cable TV for houses. kg6mti is correct, always use 95% copper shielded cable (with no foil)

I'm running lines for 10 new cameras in a parking lot being redone for them right now and the chief engineer says that RG6U with the foil and 60% aluminum braid is the best. I tried to convince him otherwise but he's sticking to his guns.

I'm actually a hotel employee (not a contracter) so I guess this is what I'm going to be working with.

Edited by Guest

NOLA,

RG6 65% foil shielded cable is perfect for modulated signals (Cable TV, Antenna systems, etc.) The foil shielded cable normally has a copper clad steel center conductor.

CCTV is pure voltage (less than 1 volt). It requires a solid copper center with a 95% copper braid. The size doesn't matter except for distance: ie, RG59 is good for runs up to approximately 1000 ft. RG6 goes up to 1500.

Please feel free to give him a copy of this email. If he would like to check my credentials, he can go to www.videoguardit.com.

Using the wrong cable (shielded) is one of the many mistakes on which I based my training class.

Thanks for posting the reply about your first problem and let your engineer know that the wrong construction cable was the culprit.

Howard