guesswho

What is the best way to make NVR PC accessible online?

Hi,

So I finally figured out how to setup ACTi IP cameras on PC using ACTi NVR3 software. Now I am trying to set them up so I can be able to access them remotely.

Here is how I have them connected:

IP cameras ---> POE ---> router (no internet access)---> NVR aka PC

Modem ---> Router (has internet access)

I am going to connect an ethernet cable from the camera router to the internet router. (FYI, each router is assigning its own DCHP, router 1 = 192.168.0.XXX, router 2 = 198.162.1.XXX)

What is the best way to connect those two routers?

What is best way to setup an online access to it?

Thank you for help.

The router that your cameras are connected to will need to be put into bridge mode. That will, more or less, just turn it into a switch.

From there, you'll need to forward the port(s) you're going to be utilizing to access those cameras on your other router that's directly connected to the modem.

Thank you for your input.

The reason I don't want to use the camera router as a bridge is that its draining the network and making the internet connection really slow . That is the reason why I setup their own network.

Hi,

So I finally figured out how to setup ACTi IP cameras on PC using ACTi NVR3 software. Now I am trying to set them up so I can be able to access them remotely.

Here is how I have them connected:

IP cameras ---> POE ---> router (no internet access)---> NVR aka PC

Forget about 2 routers idea

put 2 NIC in your comp

set up as separate subnets and u done ( one for cameras and one for LAN )

What ak357 said.

IP cameras -> PoE Switch -> PC NIC 2, PC NIC 1 -> Router -> Modem

Say your router has a DHCP server, assigning 192.168.0.1-100 IP's, put PC NIC 1 to DHCP so it gets internet access automatically. Put the PC NIC 2 IP to 192.168.1.1, cameras 192.168.1.2-100.

Playing with more than one router is way too complicated for simple task like this one. If your PC doesn't have 2 NICs by default, one costs 30-40 bucks/euros/which ever currency you're using.

If you wish to access the cameras (not PC NVR) from the internet, situation will be different.

After all these connections you probably will also need to do some port forwarding: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm Guides for most routers out there.

Another option might be to use a router with VPN capabilities. Join the networks. Rather than exposing any ports etc for direct access and relying on application security you could just VPN in and use whatever you want like you are on the network. Its just another way to do it. This may not be possible if you want to use mobile clients.