I'm am going to have some (under 200' and under) runs of cable I am pulling, in my existing house. Is CCA cat 5e cable ok, or does it need to be solid copper? This will be for future IP cameras (or whatever camera it is that will run with the cat5 cable.

I'm just doing this wire running now, as it is inline with a current project. Hopefully the CCA is good enuff.

Thx, DM

My problem with CCA Cat5e is not that it doesn't work, but that it's usually such terrible quality that it breaks apart in my hands while I'm trying to strip it.

I don't think you'll have any issues with it, other than maybe some frustration while installing. You'll also want to be very careful with it while you're doing your runs.

DO NOT RUN CCA...its will/can cause all sorts of problems...aside from it being brittle you may drop packets (not a huge issue on a pc, but on for cams it is) and have issues with POE on long runs..the extra cost is insignificant...for that matter if your are running new cable run cat6...get it from monoprice or cable matters on amazon.

DO NOT RUN CCA...its will/can cause all sorts of problems...aside from it being brittle you may drop packets (not a huge issue on a pc, but on for cams it is) and have issues with POE on long runs..the extra cost is insignificant...for that matter if your are running new cable run cat6...get it from monoprice or cable matters on amazon.

If you want something that you KNOW will do the job & will CONTINUE to do the job then use copper

Crap, wut I thought. I'll redo these other long runs and replace with solid. Suck having to troubleshoot later, to "wonder" if the cca is an issue. Thx for heading me in the correct direction. Dm

Going with 6. See it offered with shielding. Longest 2 runs will be 120' each. I will end up needing at least 2 1000' rolls as will have around 12 runs. Do I need it shielded or not? Thx dm

Edited by Guest

cat 6 if you can afford it as who knows what else is going to be on the network also new speks for cat 6 may allow for higher power devices than currently. Think about where you might add additonal equipment and run a spare. I have been cabling for several years and have yet to have a customer say we ran too many drops. Also buy or borrow a cheap wire mapper and test all the lines usually the problem is in the termination but testing is a big time saver when trouble shooting