Ex-Roughneck

Excellent Complete Box System

I have been reading around the forum last couple weeks and I see there are some really advanced members. Hoping I can get some free advice from somebody.

Residential Application for: 2100 sq ft house, 1 story, corner lot, 7200 ft Lot that house is sitting on. I would like to keep the total investment under $3000 max.

I am looking to buy a boxed, complete, system, minus monitor. I am not a network savvy type individual. I do not want to buy low end. I want a quality system that is basically plug in and it works. I have been looking at COSTCO and have my eye on this system, link below. I have done some reading on the forum and realized the limitations of dome cameras -vs- bullets. I was thinking of adding 4 bullet cams in time to round out the 8 channel system. Actually I think I might be able to get the coverage I want with 6 cams total.

I also have some thoughts of piecing a system together (Mix match), but I am worried that there might be some conflict with say example DVR and it recognizing the camera etc., and with my non-network mind be screwed by not being able to get it working. I think back to Windows 95 and that brand new sound card that would not work...back in the day...some of us, non savvy techs, can relate and have traveled that road. I think it was called the Highway to He@@.

Again I am a true novice and looking for a good solid Home system, NVR, good cameras. I am not super concerned about viewing images over cell phone or computer while at work, but I think that probably most come with this capability.

Question 1: Will I be better buying a complete boxed set and then when it comes to adding cameras stick with the same MFG?

Question 2: Are my concerns about piecing a system together unfounded when it comes to mix matched parts syncing and operating correctly?

Question 3: Is this AdvertX-8 system overpriced junk?

http://www.costco.com/AvertX-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Autofocus-3MP-HD-IP-Dome-Cameras-.product.100097383.html

That system is way overpriced...This swann system is a rebranded hikvision and is very good...you will be able to add hikvision cameras to it at a later date.

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100146086.html

You are correct about mixing and matching...however if you stick with one manufacturer you can mix and match their various cams...look at hikvision or dahua..

With costco, you can always return it if you dont like it...

One more thing, I want to go a total of 6 cameras, end state, I think. I see these Swann add on cams at Costco.

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100146086.html

HELP: They have a warning: Note: These SDI cameras will only work with SDI DVR Systems. Be sure to verify your system type before ordering accessory cameras. (Are these SDI cams compatible with that link Costco Swann link you posted?)

Do you think I should add a couple dome cams instead? Again this is a outdoor application, mild South Texas environment, San Antonio.

The SDI cameras are NOT compatible. Costco used to sell the domes and bullets as add ons but the currently do not.

With domes you need to look out for a couple of things...for example the basic swann/hikvision 2132 dome

http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2132-I-Fixed-Focal-Camera/dp/B00EJXK0I6

is only 2 axis, that means you can only properly mount it on a flat horzontal surface (ceiling mount) and not wall mount without additional hardware that is ugly..you need a 3 axis dome like the hikvision 2732 or 2532...(the 2532 has weak ir because if its size)...the other issue with domes is ir reflection (foggy night image if its not set up correctly)....

The best of both worlds is the 2332/3332 hikvision turret http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2332-I-Turret-Network-Camera/dp/B00GYHEG0S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416063268&sr=1-2&keywords=hikvision+turret

These can be mounted any way you want, and there is no ir refection issues.

Of course you can just get more bullets as well http://www.amazon.com/HIKVISION-DS-2CD2032-I-Outdoor-Bullet-Network/dp/B00M6NC9CG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416063325&sr=1-1&keywords=hikvision+2032&pebp=1416063170118

Note that the turret and domes are available with a 2.8mm lens which will give you a wider field of view (at the expense of image quality but it will still look very good and you will have more coverage.)

Also, these cams are all available on aliexpress for way less than amazon however you have no warranty or return capablilty (although any warranty via the amazon resellers just depends on the seller and if they stay in business anyway)

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/IP-Camera/514412_257104127.html

Boogieman

You say earlier that Swann is a re-branded Hikvision.

Where you show me this Hikvision dome camera (link Below), will it plug in and just work with that 8 channel Swann system you showed me earlier from COSTCO? Again if I plug and it don't play I am pretty sure I am screwed. I am not a network savvy person.

http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2332-I-Turret-Network-Camera/dp/B00GYHEG0S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416063268&sr=1-2&keywords=hikvision+turret

As I was looking at COSTCO, I saw they just added this 8 camera, NVR, 1080P system to the sale for $1199. After figuring the price of the 2 add on cameras @ ($349) to the 4 camera 1080P ($799) I would have about the same price as this 8 camera system.

Instead of buying 2 cams for my 4 camera system, I ordered this 8 cam system and when the 4 cam system is delivered tomorrow I will take it to COSTCO for refund.

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100146087.html

I finally had time to un-box and test the system prior to installation. I hooked up all the wiring and to the cams and the 32" stand alone LED HD TV I bought for exclusive monitoring. TVs are so cheap now days I thought why not. The NVR found all the cameras quick. Set up wizard is very easy to follow. My first impression is this is a really good system. Once I get it installed I will review again. I am glad I took back the 4 camera system to Costco and purchased the 8 camera system. Once you start pricing the cameras it is cheaper to go with the 8 cam system. Definitely more bang for the buck. Costco definitely has some good pricing on their all in one systems.

Quick Review. Got the system installed today. Plugged in all eight (8)cameras and they were truly plug and play, and had no issues with connectivity. Got the view adjusted on all and they all had a nice clear, crisp color picture in daylight showing on my sharp 32" tv I bought to use as a dedicated monitor. I still have not ran thru the SETUP wizard due to darkness and beer drinking. So far impressed with the crisp daylight views. The night vision I will give it, just a OK. Not sure if when I set up things will change and I don't really know what a good or sorry night view looks like. I have a clean picture. I just plugged in the NVR into the modem and the modem recognized the NVR as a swann with no issues. So far so good. More to follow after I run thru SETUP.

Got everything set. Extremely happy with clarity. Originally I discovered I did not receive the CD, contacted swann and they sent promptly. CD includes a 95 and 56 page manual and software for win and Mac, etc. Installed software and can see the view on the PC also. Still have alot to read and learn. Right now I have accepted default settings and in continuous record mode and consider myself a satisfied customer.

Question: Does anyone have a clue to how long that will record before writing over previous recordings? The HD is 2 TB.

I'm in the same situation as you right now. Just wondering how the system has worked out for you in the past 1.5 years. Any feedback?

I have been reading around the forum last couple weeks and I see there are some really advanced members. Hoping I can get some free advice from somebody.

Residential Application for: 2100 sq ft house, 1 story, corner lot, 7200 ft Lot that house is sitting on. I would like to keep the total investment under $3000 max.

I am looking to buy a boxed, complete, system, minus monitor. I am not a network savvy type individual. I do not want to buy low end. I want a quality system that is basically plug in and it works. I have been looking at COSTCO and have my eye on this system, link below. I have done some reading on the forum and realized the limitations of dome cameras -vs- bullets. I was thinking of adding 4 bullet cams in time to round out the 8 channel system. Actually I think I might be able to get the coverage I want with 6 cams total.

I also have some thoughts of piecing a system together (Mix match), but I am worried that there might be some conflict with say example DVR and it recognizing the camera etc., and with my non-network mind be screwed by not being able to get it working. I think back to Windows 95 and that brand new sound card that would not work...back in the day...some of us, non savvy techs, can relate and have traveled that road. I think it was called the Highway to He@@.

Again I am a true novice and looking for a good solid Home system, NVR, good cameras. I am not super concerned about viewing images over cell phone or computer while at work, but I think that probably most come with this capability.

Question 1: Will I be better buying a complete boxed set and then when it comes to adding cameras stick with the same MFG?

Question 2: Are my concerns about piecing a system together unfounded when it comes to mix matched parts syncing and operating correctly?

Question 3: Is this AdvertX-8 system overpriced junk?

http://www.costco.com/AvertX-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Autofocus-3MP-HD-IP-Dome-Cameras-.product.100097383.html