Sign in to follow this  
riniboo

Lorex LNR280 Day Light Saving Bug - Timeline 1 hr off

I have been using latest firmware V2.2.3 build 131225 on my Lorex LNR280 and enabled DST (Day Light Saving option). On Nov 2, 2014, it adjusted the time automatically properly.

However, I didn't pay attention until yesterday when I did a Playback on some videos remotely (through web based), the timeline at the bottom was acting very odd. It was off by 1 hour although the overlay time on the actual video was showing the correct time and the log start/end time was correct too. Even I tried to download the video, everything was fine except the timeline. It wasn't like this before the DST change.

For example, when I clicked on the timeline for a recording at 8:05 PM, it started to play and the timeline would jump to 7:05 PM. It continued to play but the timeline playing indicator was off by exactly 1 hour. Basically I cannot use the timeline anymore!!??? I cannot do any fast forward or backward.

Then I tried the following and none of them worked. Anyone experienced the same issue?

- Formatted the HDD (didn't help)

- Disabled DST (didn't help)

- Cold reboot (didn't help)

The facts are:

- Windows client "Lorex netHD Client.exe" was working fine (correct playback timeline)

- Android App. Lorex HD was working fine (correct playback timeline)

So nailed down to the web-based problem. I used the the Javascript debugger and traced the problem... In playback.js, I could find some hints:

var iTime = m_PreviewOCX.HWP_GetOSDTime(iWndNum);

var date = new Date(iTime*1000);

m_tWndMidTime[iWndNum] = date.Format("yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss");

if(iWndNum == m_iCurWnd)

{

tTimeBar.setMidLineTime(m_tWndMidTime[iWndNum]);

}

In my test, iWndNum and m_iCurWnd are equal to 0 and reset the mid line time 1 hr back. But how does the m_PreviewOCX object get the OSD (On Screen Display) time??? I don't know. My assumption is that the ActiveX object gets the wrong time from the NVR. It can be multiple places or API that stores the time and it didn't get the proper time or it calculates incorrectly due to DST. I don't know, I guess it is a bug. But Lorex is unlikely to fix it if you read the other posts from me. This is the reason why they can only be in the consumer/small business market. With such bad support and crappy products, no enterprise business or critical recording would choose Lorex.

Have you guys read the FAQ indeed? During the DST change (when time moves backwards - only once a year), the overlapping 1 hour recording would be erased. LOL!!!!! Seriously!!!! Read the FAQ. If you were a burglar, you can start the break-in at 1 AM and you have 1 hour window. At 2 AM DST change, clock moves backwards 1 hour and all the recording in the past hour will be erased. Is this acceptable if I run a mission critical 24/7 monitoring business? Good luck.

Okay, I am answering my own post and this bugs me so much, therefore I come up with this workaround to help other people. Here is the temporary fix (every time you view it remotely, you have to do this):

1. Use Google Chrome

2. Logon to NVR Lorex LNR280 remotely

3. Go to Playback tab

4. Press "F12" to bring up the debugger

5. Click on "Sources" (in the tab of the debugger)

6. On the tree of the left navigation, doc > script > playback.js

7. Go to line #1533 (for my firmware V2.2.3 build 131225)

8. Look for these:

9. Add one line of code in between and it should look like this:

date = new Date(date.getTime() + 60*60000);

10. CTRL-S to save it in memory

11. Click "F12"

12. Playback any video again, now the timeline is fixed!!! Yeah!!! I can drag the timeline to fast forward and backward again!

You have to do it again if you close your browser or refresh the page. But it is a workaround fix

I got LNR 380 and have the same problem. The fix you offered works perfectly. Lorex support is impossible to get on the phone. I spent 2 days trying to reach them on the phone, so far it is unsuccessful. Thanks again for the solution.

I am in EST time zone, several days ago on March 8, 2015 time has changed. Now, everything is back to normal.. there is no need to use the Javascript fix.

@Q2U: There is, obviously there is a bug and Lorex doesn't know how to handle DST properly.

So disappointed. If you read the other post of mine "Lorex - IP HD Camera disconnects randomly for no reason" http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=42034, you shouldn't be surprised.

I flashed the Hikvision firmware onto my LNR280, they have a DST enable and a setting where you set the days of the year to jump around.

Hi JoeyJoey,

Which Hikvision firmware do you use for your LNR280? Can you send me a link or post the version here?

Is it easy to do? Any other configurations need to be done? Do I have to logon to each camera to do re-configuration?

Also, does Hikvision firmware fix this issue? "Lorex - IP HD Camera disconnects randomly for no reason" viewtopic.php?f=19&t=42034

Thanks for your help in advance.

I had the same problem with an Empire security camera, it was one hour off on Eastern standard time. I just picked the next time zone from the drop down list.

Hi JoeyJoey,

Which Hikvision firmware do you use for your LNR280? Can you send me a link or post the version here?

Is it easy to do? Any other configurations need to be done? Do I have to logon to each camera to do re-configuration?

Also, does Hikvision firmware fix this issue? "Lorex - IP HD Camera disconnects randomly for no reason" viewtopic.php?f=19&t=42034

Thanks for your help in advance.

I do not know if it fixes the 2nd issue you list there.

I use v3.0.10

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product%20Firmware/Recorder/DS-7600NI-SE%207600NI-V%28VP%29/V3.0.10%20Build141125/

Once installed, it will give you direct access to all the cameras via its internal proxy.

I use the v5.2 firmware on all the cameras too.

Become familiar with the tftp firmware flashing method before you start, as that it what you'll most likely have to use on all the devices.

I would recommend to start with that method to begin with.