sue_ridgepipe

Extracting Firmware from HikVision Cameras

Hi All,

Is there a script or a program that is available to extract the firmware from a HikVision camera, that can be used to upload back into the camera if a new firmware fails? e.g. restore back to original firmware?

I currently have an OEM HikVision camera with a firmware that does not appear to be generally available, and have received what appears to be a firmware update from the reseller, but even the reseller is not sure if it will work.

I would like to extract/download from the camera the existing firmware and reuse it if the new firmware file fails..

I currently have the camera connected to a NAS and can transfer files to/from the camera quite easily.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

SR

This is a huge problem with OEM's. I had this with Q-See when people were buying them from Costco so I got a pair. Then Windows 8 came out and I could not view live video from IE. I updated my Dahua cameras and it worked fine but could not get the same update from Q-See even while under warranty.

What it's looking at is likely the model number, serial number of something like that that's in flash that prevents you from using the web browser interface to upload new firmware. You can use TFTP method (search the forum for how) and you can force feed firmware you can get from hivkvision.com website or the hikvisioneurope.com/portal page. Don't know what would happen. But I've had issues where sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For example, my kid used to sell OEM Hikvision and she had some issues where applying Hikvision firmware deleted the admin account and we needed Hikvision intervention, but they said they won't help anymore, so she stopped selling those, too much hassle.

If you were local in So Cal, I could re-flash the camera by copying it from one of my Hikvision cameras.

Hi All,

I'm comfortable using TFP to upload the firmware, and have already downloaded the necessary tools and guides to make this work.

I've also used wireshark to confirm that the camera looks for a remote server on 192.0.0.128 at boot time, which is consistent with the published guides.

Its a pity the reseller has little faith in the upgrade process, which doesn't provide me with great confidence.

I would also try HikVision firmware, but it is difficult knowing which HikVision firmware to apply as there are so many. A guide on this would be helpful e.g. knowing which branch of HikVision firmware may be compatible would be great.

Thanks

SR

Go to Hikvision's website and see what the equivalent model is or post a picture. If it starts with a ds-2cd2xxxx then it uses Raptor firmware which is the most common series of cameras that Hikvision OEM's.

Go to Hikvision's website and see what the equivalent model is or post a picture. If it starts with a ds-2cd2xxxx then it uses Raptor firmware which is the most common series of cameras that Hikvision OEM's.

Problem is that if the Hik vision firmware upgrade bricks the camera there is no OEM firmware to get back to when you have a dead camera.

I was considering using FMK to create an image but I am currently thinking about selectively copying and replacing the main binaries individually in camera with versions stripped out of Hik's firmware. If it goes wrong then it should leave me with a brain damaged cam that still has telnet and BusyBox so I could ftp the binaries back in.

Does anyone have an exploded davinci.dav in Dropbox or similar that I could play with rather than me going through the pain of setting up a system just for FMK?

Problem is that if the Hik vision firmware upgrade bricks the camera there is no OEM firmware to get back to when you have a dead camera.

I was considering using FMK to create an image but I am currently thinking about selectively copying and replacing the main binaries individually in camera with versions stripped out of Hik's firmware. If it goes wrong then it should leave me with a brain damaged cam that still has telnet and BusyBox so I could ftp the binaries back in.

Does anyone have an exploded davinci.dav in Dropbox or similar that I could play with rather than me going through the pain of setting up a system just for FMK?

Write down the current version of your firmware, and download it from the hikvision ftp site. If upgrade fails you have a copy of the old firmware.

Write down the current version of your firmware, and download it from the hikvision ftp site. If upgrade fails you have a copy of the old firmware.

I think you must have misunderstood me, the camera I have is a Hikvison manufactured Swann that is similar to the Hik 2012-I and there is no Swann OEM firmware.