WRH

Building a new house

I'm building a new house/shop in rural Kansas. I want to install a surveillance system, four cameras all outside. I have no idea what system to get. I don't want junk but don't want to spend more then I have to either. What system do I need...? I will mount two cameras on front porch, one on rear, one on the drive way ( 100yds from house) and one on garage.

I would love to have it setup so I could view on a smart phone...

Not even real sure what my budget is, would $1000-$2000 get me what I need? I will install myself.

Thanks for your imput

No, that would not be a good option. The resolution is poor and I would imagine that 16 cameras and a recorder with a 1TB drive for $599.00 is a bucket of pain, disappointment and regret which you'll quickly fill. Find yourself a decent quality network IP camera system where each camera displays a minimum resolution of 2MP. I use Hikvision cameras which are very good and which cost approximately $90.00 each. My suggestion is that you find an Hikvision system that comes with eight (8) 3MP cameras and includes a network video recorder (NVR) which has the capacity to handle additional cameras in the event you decide you need more than the 8 cams included in the system you buy. Such a system will include Power Over Ethernet (POE) which allows the NVR to provide power to each camera through a single Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cable, which will also carry each camera's video signal.

Edited by Guest

+1 on Q2U....Run ethernet for an IP system, use quality Solid copper cable, not copper clad aluminum or CCA...buy from a reputable online dealer like monoprice or cable matters ...DO NOT under any circumstances let a contractor or cctv installer convince you to run rg59. As q points out, Power over ethernet makes things super easy and a clean install.

If you want a package deal with warranty and the ability to return this might be something to look at

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100146086.html

The cameras are rebranded hikvision 2032 bullets...

Yes...those look like the same Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 3-megapixel (2048 pixel x 1536 pixel) cameras I run and they are excellent. I bought my first two (a Lorex branded $349 "2-pack") from Costco but the last 5 I've bought on AliExpress for approximately $90.00.

I word of warning though. AliExpress don't do the return thing too well and the tech support is non-existent. In addition, my bet is that the Costco system that Boogieman linked to sends POE out to only 4 of those 8 ports which means you'll have to power any add-on cameras with a POE switch, a traditional power adapter or a POE injector.

Here's some snapshots from my $90.00 pay and pray Chinese cameras ...

Lobby1.thumb.jpg.5bc46100512cd495f74d23947b75d221.jpg

Outside1.thumb.jpg.a15fed51af96a9f24dfdc7d195bbf89d.jpg

Corridor3.thumb.jpg.e99521e510fc419ccd56b182b1e81179.jpg

Thanks for the help. Those are great images. The cameras on the house I don't think will be a problem but, I want to put one camera out on my driveway that might be getting close to the 328ft magic number for Ethernet... I will have to measure to be sure. I will have to trench and run power out there for a light as well. Any other options I need to look at for that?

I would counsel e x t r e m e c a u t i o n brother. Handing out $90.00 for a camera is a tad different than sending $1,000.00 for this system; if I were you I would research the heck out of the seller you may send a grand off to China.

In addition, that NVR does not include a hard drive, so add $100.00 and plan on opening it and screwing with it; if I was spending that kinda dough I wouldn't want to be bothered. In addition, it states "8 channels" but only "4 POE ports" so to power 4 of the cameras you're going to need to purchase a 4-port POE switch, so add $60.00. Next, that is the camera but I'm confused...do you get eight (8) DS-2CD2032-I cameras with that setup? Last, MAKE CERTAIN that you are going to receive an NVR and cameras that contain English Language firmware. It's be a shame to spend that kinda money and have to learn Chinese to use it. Also know that the hardware firmware you get will probably not be upgradable but that probably won't matter to you.

As I said, I'd research the heck out of the AliExpress seller before you ship him a grand.

Edited by Guest

...http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100146087.html...

Boogieman is right: for and extra $200.00 (+tax) you're getting the hard drive plus you can return it to Costco if you're ever dissatisfied. Swann tech support wasn't too bad either (the one time I had to call them) and there was a Swann tech support guy posting here not too long ago...and that's above and beyond imho bro.

Thanks guys, I did not realize that was a overseas deal... I was just looking at the kits they had.

If the swann kit is good I will go that route.

Now can you run CAT6 underground?

Under 328ft, what little I have been told you wanna keep it under 328 or quality falls off rapidly. This would be for one camera only.

Yes you can..u should use burial grade solid copper cable (make sure its not cca or copper clad aluminium) You can also use conduit as well...conduit is nice because you can snake more cable later if you need (make sure to add a few extra pull strings to make that easy later)...

Yes you can..u should use burial grade solid copper cable (make sure its not cca or copper clad aluminium) You can also use conduit as well...conduit is nice because you can snake more cable later if you need (make sure to add a few extra pull strings to make that easy later)...

+1 on that. As Boogie main mentioned, I'd use high quality gel-filled direct burial rated cable. I'd also run it in PVC conduit, and I'd glue the conduit. Regarding conduit, it's been said it's not IF it will fill up with water BUT WHEN...so (IMO) the conduit is to protect the cable from zealous diggers, not water (it's the gel that does that). I'd also test the section of cable before you bury it to make certain it's viable because I'd hate to do all that work only to find that the cable is no good. And while you're at it you may want to run an extra cable or two in that conduit. Cable is relatively cheap and that's a lot of work to have endure a do-over. Yuk.

Just measured the far camera and it will be just shy of 400'... Will this be a problem? If so what can I do?

LOL. Yeah I could do that, but would rather not due to the post would be in the way of farm ground.

Is the reason it does not work a voltage drop problem? If so would running and tieing together two wires solve it?

If there is not a easy solution, then I guess I will just mount camera closer.

With the swain kit above, Is it possible, to have the cameras record and then have a message sent to my phone if there is motion detected so I can then view what the camera is seeing on my phone?

I have gotten away with a 400 foot run using quality CAT-6 cable several times. That 328 foot thing is a theoretical limit, and while I am not a fan of going past it there are some limited cases where you just don't have a choice. Bear in mind though that as the cable ages you may start to see some dropped frames on your video... I am talking 3-5 years from now.

With the swain kit above, Is it possible, to have the cameras record and then have a message sent to my phone if there is motion detected so I can then view what the camera is seeing on my phone?

Yes, but the issue is that you will get many false alerts...the only way around that is to use a kit with cameras that allow attaching a pir motion sensor...you will need to power the motion sensor independently..