johnnycw

Dahua HDB-4300C - my impressions after three weeks

I was given a Dahua NVR4208 and several HDB-4300C cameras. They were all new in the box and were passed along to me after the original purchaser sold the property he had planned to install the equipment at. He bought them on-line with no support so as far as firmware upgrades, I'm out of luck using the conventional means.

My first impression of the cameras were good. Small form factor and great daytime image quality. The configuration menus are easy to navigate with all the typical settings. Low light image quality left something to be desired but its acceptable with minimal ambient lighting.

My disappointment comes with what seems to be firmware issues. The cameras currently have 2.420.0002.0.R, build : 2014-06-21 and I'm having two significant problems.

The first issue is that I cannot use a time server to keep the time accurate. The default timezone setting is GMT+08:00 and no matter what I set it to, it always defaults back to GMT+08:00. If I disable syncing with the NTP server the cameras will keep the correct time regardless what the timezone setting defaults back to but the time drifts by a few minutes every week.

The second and more annoying issue is the camera profile (Day, Night) schedule settings don't seem to work. I've attempted to use this feature to work around the low light image quality issues forcing the cameras into an optimized Night setting based on a time schedule. However the cameras stay in Day mode all the time if I enable the profile schedule. Now I'm left no option other than to keep the cameras in Normal mode which does switch to B&W appropriately during low light but not with the optimized low light settings I use in the Night mode profile.

The last issue which I don't know is with the NVR or the cameras is I cannot get the NVR4208's motion detection to work. When trying to setup the detection zones, I cannot get a camera image at all in the setup no matter what settings I've tried.

I really wanted to like these cameras. They're small and have decent image quality (great daytime image) but Dahua seems to really drop the ball with their firmware.

...and with the previous comments made, I know there are 4 more recent English/NTSC firmware updates available for both the NVR4208 and HDB-4300's so if anyone has access to them and are willing to share, I'd be appreciative.

Does the nvr actually have a hard drive installed to record anything? Dahua IP camera motion detection can be finicky for sure. Some resort to just recording full time because of it, so nothing is at risk of being missed. Be sure to have your motion detection and recording schedule setup properly. As for profiles, I can't comment except to say I don't prefer them. Try and work in more exterior lights to your camera locations. Actual light helps cameras give better results, in general. Also, set the nvr NTP for the time of day and DST schedule. The nvr is usually the better option and it will time stamp all recordings appropriately. Take that task off of the cameras and have the nvr do it. Have the nvr show channel and/or date and time of day for display per channel. Also, look for a PM- I'll advise the best member for firmware updates. He's like, the guru as far as I've ever seen.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I do have a HD installed in the NVR and the scheduling is setup correctly. The problem I'm having is when I'm trying to set the detection zone areas for each camera, I don't get any image at all in the window where I activate or deactivate the grid squares. After about 30 seconds or so it seems to time out detecting an image and I get an X a top corner of the image display window. I've got the NVR set for 24/7 recording now and I get an image fine in live and recorded views. Motion detection isn't make or break for me as I prefer recording 24/7 but I like motion detection for saving detected events off site.

I've tried the more helpful forum sources for firmware but I was declined however I'm still on the lookout and I'm sure patience will pay off eventually. Another option is possibly purchasing a single camera of the same model from a legit Dahua supplier and see if that route may work for updated firmware.

My searches so far have only led me to older firmware versions and I'm hesitant to download anything from a source other than what I know has been reliable and helpful to others.

shockwave199 while trying to implement some of your suggestions I actually solved the motion detection issue. I disabled the time overlay from the cameras and tried to enable it on the NVR but couldn't get it to work. I then realized I had the NVR set to detect the cameras on the HTTP port rather than TCP. I switched them to the TCP port and now I've got the NVR time overlay working and low and behold the motion detection seems to work now. I'm guessing the TCP port is the most appropriate? This is my first NVR so I'm learning.

As of right now my only gripe (its a minor gripe) is the camera's inability to maintain the correct timezone when set to sync with a NTP server which I've sort of resolved simply using the NVR's time overlay. I can live without the scheduled camera profiles I suppose as using those settings were only marginally better in low light than the Normal settings. As far as increasing the area lighting, I'm about maxed out. Its a coastal property and the community has very strict lighting laws to prevent confusing hatchling sea turtles.

Yes, TCP port. You can try to make day/night profiles for channels from the nvr too and see if that gets you anywhere. It may not, but maybe- worth a shot. The problem I have with profiles is that day light and darkness is ever changing throughout the days and months. I could set a time for darkness profile now and a month from now it will change. It only seems good for absolute darkness and daylight any time of year. Running closer to the edges has to be sacrificed I think. Those cameras have no IR and you're stuck with exterior light only to wake the image up at night- and you need a damn good amount of light too. No amount of shutter adjusting will work that out properly I don't think. The only good thing about those cameras is that you don't get spider webs on them at night. Plus I'm sure the image is first rate during the day.

I've got them a little better nailed down with some of your suggestions. I usually try and avoid IR because of the bugs and here in Florida we've got lots throughout the year. The one mission critical area is under a carport and does have decent lighting. That area faces away from the coastal waters so I have a little more allowance.

I replaced an analog system with CNB VBM-24VF domes which IMO have great low light performance. Ultimately these Dahua IPC's were free and I'm trying them out but I may end up replacing a few where IR might be my only practical low light option. I've got a couple of Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I domes on the way to evaluate them in the areas I need low light coverage. We'll see how well they play with this Dahua NVR4208.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Don't plan on the hiks playing nice on the dahua nvr. Mix and match doesn't work out well when you use nvr's. I'm forced to use ir cameras too. Even with exterior lighting, I just don't have enough picture to make those cameras work at night.

Yeah I've read mixing brands opens up potential issues. I guess I'll learn the hard way. lol

I've got a cheap outdoor PTZ that seems to work pretty well with this Dahua NVR but I know it'll be a gamble.