Sign in to follow this  
Firefighter

im tired of not getting milestone to work

I'm so tired of not being able to get milestone mobile to work that I'm considering buying Blue iris even though I like

the desktop version of xprotect go. I'm having a horrid time with the IP addresses, servers and ports etc....

I'm probably going to look for someone who I can just pay to get it working for me.

I didn't think I could be this ignorant with networking because I've always been the go to guy in my family and group of friends for

this kind of stuff but I've read the pdf's from milestone, and online help and just can't get it all to come together it's killing me...

Anyone here want to help for paypal funds?

Thanks

I've started from scratch twice uninstalling and reinstalling and no luck.

It should be pretty simple. I've never even seen Milestone myself, but since its probably a pretty basic remote connection, i can try to help:

For the Mobile Clients access, in brief: You will need to install the Mobile Server, and Port forward (NAT) the incoming TCP-traffic to the Mobile Server at port 8081.

Step 1: Install and enable Mobile Server

Step 2: You need to figure out your external IP address, go to wimi.com (from the Milestone PC) to see it.

Step 3: You need to figure out which port is Milestone using for remote connections, apparently by default its 8081.

Step 4: Access your router and configure port forwarding, http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm probably has your router listed, pretty much any guide for any game/program will guide you thru the same process

Step 5: Enter your external IP and port you just forwarded to your Mobile client.

Step 6: Hopefully enjoy your pictures.

Now if these steps wont for some reason get you your pictures, check your firewall (for testing purposes, if nothing else helps, turn it off).

If its not firewall, your ISP might block some ports/all ports. In this case, this method of connection probably wont work.

If any of the steps is giving you hard time, ask for more detailed info.

Thank you very much I'll try this when I get home tomm.

Anything I have trouble with I will screen shot and post, and I will gladly send you

something for the help. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this system....

A few things I know of before going home,

SmartClient, Log in credentials are still the default admin and 12345 because when I try changing them it won't let me access it, saying server address wrong. To fix this I uninstalled and reinstalled and it stays with the defaul log in stuff....

Next, When im in the management application and trying to set up the server information I have ny local IP, and then the internets IP that I find using check my ip.

I only have Management application and SmartClient, I don't need the mobile app on my desktop right, just on my phone.

I'll continue this when I get home tomm. I'm on shift ( 24hr ) so unable to do anything from work.

I also couldnt find a link for hikvision IVMS 4200, desktop application...

Since the 2013 version, you don't have to install the mobile server, it's already installed. It should be in the system tray in the lower right of your Windows desktop. Right click on that to see if it's running. Also, you'll have to create a user name in the management app.

If that's running, first try and go to another PC and enter the IP address of the PC running Milestone in a browser with 8081 port, for example, http://192.168.1.10:8081 and it should come up with a login screen for Milestone. You can login with your username to see if it fully works. If that works, Mobile Server is working, so the next step is trying it on your phone when your phone is connected to your home WiFi network.

If that all works, you need to port forward 8081 and 8082 for your PC running Milestone (don't ask me why but the default is 8081 on Android, 8082 on IOS but you can change it on IOS to be 8081 by turning off SSL option. Then try it on your phone using 3/4G.

I'm going to work out each step and see where I get and I'll come back...

Right now if I put my public ip in, it connects to a specific hik cam.

Alright so I've gone through, and I must be confused on the IP addresses or the ports.

But I took some screen shots of what everything looks like.

Also my linksys router wont let me forward each ip address for the port 80.

I numbered these for easy reference.

260832_1.jpg

260832_2.jpg

260832_3.jpg

260832_4.jpg

5. but then this doesn't show anything happening for some reason.

260832_5.jpg

260832_6.jpg

So everytime I put these in like this and try to hit save, it says this is already set and they go blank...

260832_7.jpg

Do I have my ip addy's backwards? I'm suppose to put my public ip there where I did right.

Port 80? What's that for? Milestone does not really use that port.

Did you get it working on your home network using the IP address of your PC without going through the internet? Just set you phone to WiFi, you should be able to give the IP address of your PC running Milestone.

At one time in the past yes, but not currently. It won't allow me to change that port 80 to anything else when I choose http.

I'm guessing I need to swap to port range forwarding then because of this correct.

Edit:

So when I switch to Port range forwarding, Here is what I have.

260842_1.jpg

It will only allow me to change the last bit of the ip address. So those would be my cameras correct?

So I need to go down and put all 4 cameras in correct?

Right now I just have the one as you can see.

However, When I try doing that and then hitting save I get this message and it won't allow it.

260842_2.jpg

If i go back to single port forwarding and go down where I can manually put in the ports, I get this message.

260842_3.jpg

I've read those links and obviously it isn't clicking in my head.

My internal port is 80, Right?

And Milestone uses 8081, Right?

So wouldn't I need to forward port 80 to 8081?

Let me start with how the linksys router is setup. Maybe I have something wrong in there....

260842_4.jpg

260842_5.jpg

I do not have any of my cameras at home port forwarded, only Milestone and it's ports 8081 and 8082. So if you PC that's running Milestone is 192.168.1.110, then set start port to 8081 end port to 8082. Delete everything else.

If you still can't get it to work, I can connect to your computer using teamviewer and I'll set it up for you for free. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. I use Milestone Essentials myself. Contact me by PMs if you want the help. Good luck.

Holy crap.

I'm getting closer.

I got it to work on my phone using our wifi network.... Once I found out the correct Ip... I had that wrong.

So when I change from Wifi to 4Glte it does not connect.

When It was working on the Wifi(lan) I had the server address as my computers IP in the Mobil app.

But now that I switched off the wifi(lan) to strictly 4G (and not in the home network) it won't connect.

I changed the IP address on the mobil app from the computer to my public ip and it still won't connect. I know i'm close... So close!

I also put in the router's IP for the server address and it still won't connect.

When connecting outside your home network, like with 4G, you have to you the WAN address. Hint it does not start 10... or 192.168.... Those are reserved for LAN's only

The easiest way to get this is to go to this website http://www.canyouseeme.org/ Next to "Your IP" is your WAN IP address and if you enter 8081 next to port to check and click Check Port, it will tell you if that working.

Holy crap.

I'm getting closer.

I got it to work on my phone using our wifi network.... Once I found out the correct Ip... I had that wrong.

So when I change from Wifi to 4Glte it does not connect.

When It was working on the Wifi(lan) I had the server address as my computers IP in the Mobil app.

But now that I switched off the wifi(lan) to strictly 4G (and not in the home network) it won't connect.

I changed the IP address on the mobil app from the computer to my public ip and it still won't connect. I know i'm close... So close!

I also put in the router's IP for the server address and it still won't connect.

Your port forwarding should look like this:

START -> END -> TO OP

8081 -> 8081 -> IP_OF_XPROTECT_PC

So when you connect to your externalip:8081, your router forwards it to IP_OF_XPROTECT_PC:8081. Each incoming port (on the left) can be only used once, as it is externalip:incomingport -> internalip:anyport.

From wifi(lan) you dont need the port forwarding and it is working because of that, no external ip is used. But when connected from internet over 4G, external ip is required to enter your network, then portforwarding handles the traffic to correct internal ip.

I had a member log in and he def helped and was able to get everything on the right track.

But I had to leave to pick up my mother in law from the airport so it ended there.

He fixed that, so the ports are being forwarded correctly but I think we ran into an issue of the ports not opening.

So one of 2 issues,

1. My router is old and just won't forward the ports.

2. My Zyxel 2layer secure managed POE Switch in my attic has the same ip as my router and is causing issues.

2a. When I have my poe switch plugged in and try to access my router it tries logging into the poe switch and is trouble

2b. But when I unplug my poe switch and try to access my router via the same ip it goes directly to the routers Linksys log in page and works perfectly. So it might be that the poe switch for some reason has the same ip and is causing issues there. I'll have to figure out how to reset it and log into it to make sure it isnt...

This will have to wait until saturday as I start my regular 24hr shift in 6 hours. So I'll get off work saturday morning.

I really appreciate the help thus far, hopefully we can knock our the kinks this weekend. If anything, I'm sure I need a new router anyhow since I bought a cheap wireless from walmart 3 yrs ago, its a linksys e1200.

Yes, you can't leave that switch at default settings, you have to go in and change the IP to something else.

To add to buellwinkle's comment, make sure that after you change the ip address of the switch you hit apply THEN ALSO hit save on the top right of the interface..if you dont the switch will not hold the settings if you lose power or power cycle...

Will do thanks, I'm trying to gain access to the switch as It's not wanting to play nice and bring me to

the log in screen. From what I've read it does have the same IP address as the Router which would be causing some issues.

I'll unplug it from upstairs and run it into my computer bypassing the router tomm so I can change the settings and see if this will fix the issues. I'm on shift today so can't, and I had a busy weekend. Just that time of the year.

I fully appreciate the help thus far and am glad having narrowed it down to two possible issues.

I'll update this tomm and see where I'm at. Does it matter what I change it to? as long as it's not the same as the wireless router (1.1) then I should be good to go.

ALRIGHT!

I was able to setup the Asus AC68u, and also FINALLY gain access to the Zyxel Managed switch that has been giving me issues this

whole time. The IP address on the Zyxel switch was the same as the router, I changed it and the issues I've been having are gone.

Now going to try setting up the system again and see if I can get the port forwarding working.