Sign in to follow this  
codyormoe

Question on static ip's for cameras

I'm not sure I'm putting this in the right sub-forum, so feel free to move it if it's belongs elsewhere.

First my specs and layout.

Q-See 16 Channel POE NVR w/ 3MP bullet cams(9 total, 4 in use at this time)

Q-see NVR - QC8116

Cameras - QCN8023B

POE Switch - Eagle Eye 9 port 10/100, 8POE ports, 1 uplink(Model SW09i)

Netgear modem/router combo provided by cable company(Charter Business), I'm not at the shop at the moment so I'm not sure the exact model#.

I have the NVR connected to the router/modem. Two cams directly connected to NVR's poe ports and 2 cams connected to the poe switch, then the poe switch connected to the router. All cameras are working fine, remote viewing is all good. Basically, as of right now, everything is working perfect. So, being human, I'm feeling the need to mess with it.

I'm only using a switch because the building is sort of separated into 2 sides and the nvr and router are located at the far end of one side, so instead of running 4 or 5 long lengths of cat6(solid copper core, UTP, riser rated, 23AWG) to each camera on the far side, I just ran one line to the poe switch which I wall mounted about mid building, have 2 cams connected to it right now. Longest run from a cam to switch is about 50'. Straight line between router and switch is about 75', but with the up and down and through one wall, it's about a 110' run of cable. All runs on the system are the cat6 listed above, even the 10' Ethernet from nvr to router.

Like I said, everything is running fine now, but I'm a "what if" type of person, so before it becomes an issue, I want to give the nvr a static ip. Power outages up here are pretty frequent and I don't want to lose my remote viewing ability. I'm confident in my ability to deal with the NVR static ip set up with out much issue. My question is this...

Do I need to assign static ip's to the cams connected through the switch in order for the nvr to automatically reconnect to them after an outage? If yes, I'm assuming I would first get the nvr static ip set up, then assign the switch cams their static ip's through the router interface and then configure them in the nvr, is that correct?

If I'm missing anything or you have some advise to make things go smoother, please enlighten me. I'd rather admit I don't know and have someone teach me than try to figure it out myself and end up frustrated with a fubared system. Especially since when I get extremely frustrated and don't walk away soon enough my go to tool is the biggest hammer I can find, and there is a no shortage of really, really big hammers at the shop.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You are correct, just set the nvr and the cameras on the switch to have static ip's via dhcp reservation in your router..you dont have to change their ips so you do have to make any changes in the nvr..just take the current ip's set those to be static..

While this should have been exceedingly easy, it was not, thanks to Charter. We have Charter business at the shop for internet and they won't allow any customer owned modems, you must use their managed modem/router(hereby refered to as m/r). They also would not just put the m/r into bridge mode, basically turning off the router function and use the m/r as just a modem so we could use a router of our choice.

They then cripple the m/r by locking you out of most settings that actually do anything, if you want to set up port forwarding, you have to call them, if you want to disable wifi, call, want to disable upnp, call, etc.

I finally managed to reset the m/r to factory default(which is still semi-crippled with the Charter firmware) but if you have the Charter admin login info(google is a magical thing) you can at least make some changes that were unavailable before. I got things setup the way I want, with everything working with both LAN and WAN.

But in the process one of the cameras got stuck with an ip that the m/r didn't like once reset, it refused to pick it up through the switch, even the NVR refused to see it when it was plugged directly into it. I did finally manage to reset it(would have been nice if the camera just had a damn reset button) by plugging the cam straight into the m/r, powering it with a universal adjustable ac adapter I had laying around, then using configtool to go in and reset the dhcp setting.

If there were any other cable providers I could use I would switch in a heartbeat, Charter is very frustrating, at least their business division is. We have Comcast at home(who were more than happy to put the m/r they supplied us into bridge mode so we could use our own router).