abilityonline

Residential System Question

When I built my house 8 years ago, I ran RG6 cable to specific areas of my home in the case I wanted to install CCTV system. After some area break-ins I now need to install something. Some of the runs are rather long and I'm not sure I trust a wireless system. Considering I only having RG6 installed and not the BNC power cables I have a couple of questions.

1. how would I separately run power while still using the existing RG6 coax? I would need to run this from separate power sources as I wouldn't run this the whole run.

2. Would this setup require I run analog? I was looking for something like this from Costco. http://www.costco.com/Swann-24-Channel-Full-960H-DVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-14-700TVL-Cameras.product.100070309.html

3. Through some effort I could run cat5 (I already have it for some locations). Would this be a better approach?

4. Do you have some residential systems you could recommend that fit my situation? I'm very handy regarding install but I would like to find an out of the box system under $2000

Take the time to run cat5/6 through the house...with ip cameras most decent systems support poe (power over ethernet) so you wont have to run separate power cable....

Look at some 1080p or 3mp hikvision (or swann rebranded hikvision) systems..

there are lots of threads on this..

Depending upon building construction install power supply and run power to each cam location. Look into hd-tvi for megapixel cameras over coax.

Take the time to run cat5/6 through the house...with ip cameras most decent systems support poe (power over ethernet) so you wont have to run separate power cable....

My Internet is average. What would this do to my bandwidith and web access putting this over cat 5/6?

My Internet is average. What would this do to my bandwidith and web access putting this over cat 5/6?

It wont matter...the cameras will run on your internal network.....when you stream you can limit the outgoing bandwidth...regardless of whether you run ip or analog hd, the data streamed for remote viewing will be the same..