bsa

Recommendation for IP Cameras/NVR

I'm looking for 3 to 4 indoor IP cameras and a NVR for a home monitoring systems. I'd like digital cameras to have the following specifications -

- Have Night vision

- Support both Wireless and Wired connection

- Able to record on a centralized device - DVR or NVR

- Stream live over the internet/mobile devices

- Support motion recording (good motion detection)

- Two way sound communication

- Good compression so that least amount of network bandwidth is used by the cameras.

- Total cost < 400 USD.

Would the forum members be kind enough to make any recommendations based on their experience.

Thank you in advance.

Might as well add:

-make coffee and toast every morning

Because its not going to happen at 400...Start reading the forums to lean about cameras and NVR's

That's very doable because image or build quality, poe and resolution was not specified. I would recommend the Foscam FI8918W, about $60 each

check - Have Night vision

check - Support both Wireless and Wired connection

check - Able to record on a centralized device - DVR or NVR

check - Stream live over the internet/mobile devices

check - Support motion recording (good motion detection)

check - Two way sound communication

check - Good compression so that least amount of network bandwidth is used by the cameras.

So that takes you to $240 for 4 cameras. Now you need an NVR. Find an old PC, get BlueIris for $39 and use that as your NVR. Assuming you have an old PC lying around, that takes you to about $280. Don't have an old PC, buy a used on eBay, takes you to $400, problem solved.

BSA, questions -- quite nearly identical to yours -- are posted here e v e r y s i n g l e d a y. In fact, there are probably hundreds of questions...each being very similar to yours. Would it not be better for you to start reading all of the answers to these hundreds of similar topics so that you might absorb all of the wisdom which has been posted to these topics (rather then settling for the few replies which your single question might provoke)

I don't know about that, each situation is different and he has specific needs that are different from yours. Heck, I'm writing a review on a camera that makes Hikvision & Dahua cameras look like toys and only costs 10x as much, yet does not check of all his requirements. So everyone has their needs and budget.

Very easy to do with a dahua ......... Only problem is resellers in the US and charging to much

With avermedia it's also possible with your budget

But don't waste your money on cheap Foscam

Also remember with a small budget ....build it up slow buy a camera at a time ....... Get a standalone NVR that will take many makes of IP cameras and add when you can

Missed the indoor part..the Foscam FI8918W is an mjepg vga camera and quite frankly junk...

Buy the hikvision 2432 cube camera on aliexpress from a trusted seller( about 110-120)...pir motion detection (much less false alerts) poe-if you wire some, sd card slot...3mp (although over wifi you will probably have to run it 2mp or so)...h.264 compression...get the 2.8mm lens so that it will cover the whole room...you can record to hikvisions ivms on your pc which is free...

It's relative, in some circles, Hikvision/Dahua is junk compared to some brands, so why are you saying Foscam is junk, compared to what, a camera that costs 2-3x more? His budget is $400 with NVR. And if buying direct from China is acceptable, then there's plenty of cameras under $25 that meet his needs, I was just keeping it real with a U.S. supported/warrantied product.

Foscam have always had problems ......... First it's the most copied camera out of China ..... Which you get not support

Foscam ...... Will only offer support if bought from a distributor which has a serial number

1000s of junk foscams on ebay with no support.

Op has a $400 budget .........and Foscam is a way to waste it

Dahua in the US is now stupid money because so many people sell it

UK 2mp dahua camera is £38 ..... $60. NVR £60

Because those foscams have all sorts of issues particularly when used wirelessly..he wanted good compression...not mjpeg..

I understand that its all relative, but the difference between the hikvision and foscam are night and day..the image is way better and the PIR sensor is a huge plus...he wants 3-4 cameras...so with 3 cameras the hikvisions are within budget...and with 4 just over budget...well worth the extra cost...i would advise the op to look at samples on youtube...finally, the FI8918W is only wireless g, which means you cannot run the network in N only mode which may benefit other devices like those used for movie streaming etc..

Thanks for the kind replies. i'm a little bit flexible on the budget for the right solution. will look into all the recommendations made here.

i had ruled out foscam because of the inability to have a centralized recording system unless you use their cloud in which case there's a monthly charge.

I'm happy to buy a product from china if it is good and is recommended here. I will be installing the cameras in Singapore (which i missed saying in my original post as i wasn't sure it was relevant).