alexf40

First setup problems with Hikvision

Router: 192.168.1.7

Switch: 192.168.1.1

admin

Hi,

I've just purchased my first CCTV setup and am struggling to get it working correctly.

Thanks to all the previous posts which have led me down the Hikvision path.

I have a Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI 8x PoE and 4x Hikvision DS-2CD2332 turret cams alongside an Alloy PoE 24 port switch.

I'm struggling to either connect directly to the camera as the camera can't be found at the default IP address http://192.0.0.64/.

If I connect the camera to the NVR I can view the footage through the NVR web app but then I can't connect to the camera locally or through my mobile apps as it doesn't detect the camera when scanning. When the camera is plugged into the NVR although I can view it through the NVR web app I can't find it in SADP.

If I plug it in to my switch the IR light lights up and then turns off, the switch shows it using PoE and requesting 15.4W. But scanning doesn't discover it.

I've also tried using the SADP application but that only finds the NVR and not the camera.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

EDIT:

Router: 192.168.1.7

Switch: 192.168.1.1

NVR: 192.168.1.6

There are lots of ways you can connect the various parts to do what you need, but I suggest;

- Connect the cameras to the NVR POE ports.

- Connect your computer, NVR LAN port & router to the switch.

- You should be able to view the camera images via the NVR, both from a Web viewer & mobile application.

- You should be able to most of the basic camera setups via the NVR menus.

NVR firmware 2.3.9 allows access to the camera menus via the NVR, but you probably also need camera firmware 5.2.0 to work with this NVR firmware.

There is a setting that must be made in the NVR to enable this though.

If you don't have NVR firmware 2.3.9 and you want access to the camera menus, connect your computer to one of the NVR POE ports (or connect an additional cable from the NVR POE to the switch) and use the SADP utility to find the IP settings of the cameras.

- set up your computer IP address to match the camera network.

Thanks for your help.

If I connect the camera to the NVR it shows the camera under the camera management as being on http://192.168.254.2/ and the status as online.

But I can't connect via http://192.168.254.2/.

The NVR is using V3.0.8 build 140825

I've tried using the Ezviz app and it says 'The device is not connected' after scanning the QR code on the back of the camera.

In the NVR menu, do you have Configuration, Network Settings, Advanced, Enable Virtual Host?

If you do and you enable it, you will get a link to each camera in Camera Management. It will be something like http://192.168.1.6:65001 (for camera channel 1).

This gives you access to the cameras on the NVR POE ports via the NVR LAN port.

Do you know how to manually change the IP address settings of your computer?

If so, if you do what I suggested previously, you will be able to access cameras via the POE port of the NVR.

I don't use the Ezviz app so can't help with that.

iVMS-4500 & IP Cam Viewer both work (Android).

Thanks Spark, I don't have enable virtual host, I do have enable Telnet.

According to the manual I should have enable virtual host, assume I need to change the firmware?

In that case,

connect your computer to one of the NVR POE ports (or connect an additional cable from the NVR POE to the switch) and use the SADP utility to find the IP settings of the cameras.

As you already know the IP addresses of the cameras (eg. 192.168.254.2), you won't need to use the SADP utility.

Why do you want to access the camera's menu?

You should only need access if you want to change a setting that is not available in the NVR menus.

In that case,
connect your computer to one of the NVR POE ports (or connect an additional cable from the NVR POE to the switch) and use the SADP utility to find the IP settings of the cameras.

As you already know the IP addresses of the cameras (eg. 192.168.254.2), you won't need to use the SADP utility.

Why do you want to access the camera's menu?

You should only need access if you want to change a setting that is not available in the NVR menus.

There are lots of important setting on hikvision that are not available via the nvr...if my memory serves me right, noise reduction and WDR among others.

My point is, once you get over playing with the settings, you don't need access to the camera menu.

"Virtual Host" is convenient, but you don't need it every day.

However what I'm also puzzled by is why I can't I also connect to the cameras once they are connected directly the switch? Is this the IP issue as well? Assume I can change their IP addresses?

The cameras don't have DHCP enabled, so they are not asking your router for an IP address.

In this case use the SADP utility to change the IP address of the cameras to suit your 192.168.1.x network, OR,

change the IP address of your computer just like I mentioned previously if you connected your computer to one of the NVR POE ports.

None of your problems are camera or NVR related. The are all basic / more than basic networking problems.

Thanks Spark, I'll sit down and try and sort this out, I haven't tried connecting to the PoE port. I connected to the LAN port, I have zero experience with networks so this is all new to me. But I'm very grateful for your patience and help