alexf40

Hikvision firmware overseas products restriction?

Hi,

I've just been looking at updating my firmware on my Hikvision DS-7608NI NVR (currently running v3.0.8 build 140825) and noticed in the change log for v3.0.9 the following;

3. add mechanism on domestic and overseas products restriction.

As I purchased the NVR and cameras from Hong Kong, will this stop everything from working?

Cheers

Is there a reason you want to update your firmware? If you dont know what you are doing and if the firmware is not compatible you will brick your NVR..there is a post about folks bricking their cameras and nvr's every day...ask yourself if its worth the hassle...is there a function thats not working?

Hi, unfortunately my NVR is missing the enable virtual host settings, which means I can't access the cameras directly connected to the NVR. I assume this is a firmware issue as the setting is shown in the manual.

You can access the cameras directly if you connect your pc to the NVR..there are other methods described in threads here as well..

Thanks will have a play when I'm home.

I thought that everything would work the same with the PC connected to a switch.

Thanks will have a play when I'm home.

I thought that everything would work the same with the PC connected to a switch.

Unfortunately not..

So I've connected the PC directly to the DVR, the camera shows in the DVR web interface the camera is on 192.168.254.2 and port 8000, but I still can't access it directly through a browser.

I've tried the SADP application again whilst the DVR is directly connected to the PC and it only finds the DVR.

For some reason I thought all this stuff would be plug and play with today's technology

If your PC has an IP of the form 192.168.1.XXX then you can only access the NVR web interface at 192.168.1.YYY (the NVR lan port IP). The NVR PoE switch has an IP 192.168.254.1 which is internal only for the NVR. If you connect your PC to the NVR PoE switch (not the NVR LAN port) then you must set your PC IP to something like 192.168.254.ZZZ where ZZZ is anything larger than 16. In this way you will be able to access the cameras connected to the NVR PoE switch since each camera is assigned the IP 192.168.254.AAA where AAA>=2.

If you have NVR firmware 2.3.9 or greater then you can enable the Virtual host feature that allows you to access the cameras interface through a port of the NVR (like 192.168.1.YYY:65001) instead of the camera IP.

There are many threads in this and other forums that explain the various ways of accessing the camera's interface with and without the Virtual Host feature.

Hi and thanks for the detailed explanation. I have tried searching but obviously I'm searching for the wrong things as haven't found anything to help.

The DVR was running 3.0.8 and didn't have the virtual host setting, so I upgraded to 3.0.10 and that doesn't have it either.

I'll try changing my computers IP and doing what you said thank you.

However what I'm also puzzled by is why I can't I also connect to the cameras once they are connected directly the switch? Is this the IP issue as well? Assume I can change their IP addresses?

Cheers

However what I'm also puzzled by is why I can't I also connect to the cameras once they are connected directly the switch? Is this the IP issue as well? Assume I can change their IP addresses?

Cheers

YES. In general, if you have a simple PC with no other routers in the LAN and with no specific routing rules applied in the PC, you can only access IPs in the same range as the PC IP, i.e. if your PC has an IP of the form 192.168.1.XXX then you can access only devices with IP in the range 192.168.1.XXX where XXX=1-255. You cannot access IPs of the range 192.168.254.YYY .

Also do not forget that if you connect the camera directly to a switch you must provide power to it somehow, either 12V through the pigtail OR 48V from the PoE switch through the LAN cable.

Ah ok, thank you this is starting to finally become clear. I'm going to try and directly connect to the NVR via the PoE port and change my computer's IP address to be the same subnet as the cameras. e.g. 192.168.254.YYY and then change the IP addresses of the cameras to be on the same subnet as what my computer is normally on e.g. 192.168.1.XXX

I'm hoping to finally nail this over the weekend, and then write a guide for all the other newbies

and change my computer's IP address to be the same subnet as the cameras. e.g. 192.168.254.YYY and then change the IP addresses of the cameras to be on the same subnet as what my computer is normally on e.g. 192.168.1.XXX

You don't even need to do that if you use the SADP utility to change the IP addresses of the cameras.

I thought you said you haven't tried plugging the computer into the NVR POE port yet.

Depending on what operating system you have on your computer, you may also need to try disabling any firewall you may have (just to test).

Ah ok, thank you this is starting to finally become clear. I'm going to try and directly connect to the NVR via the PoE port and change my computer's IP address to be the same subnet as the cameras. e.g. 192.168.254.YYY and then change the IP addresses of the cameras to be on the same subnet as what my computer is normally on e.g. 192.168.1.XXX

I'm hoping to finally nail this over the weekend, and then write a guide for all the other newbies

If you do this (change the camera IP to 192.168.1.XXX) then you must also change the IP of the internal gateway of PoE switch IN THE NVR to something like 192.168.1.100. If you do not change it, then the NVR itself will not be able to access the camera. In network terms what you are trying to do is feasible. However, I do not know if the HIK NVR will recognise this IP setting for the PoE switch (I am not convinced of the software development quality of HIK Vision). If it does not, then set the NVR PoE switch gateway back to 192.168.254.1 and set the camera to 192.168.254.2 and so on.

Tell us the results of your experiments.

Thanks for all the help. After changing the IP address they are all working

However I haven't yet checked the NVR and what you've mentioned. I'll be looking at this this evening. Thanks again.