I guy called me to put in a Kalatel dvrm 320-ct-10. He currently has a "Wal-Mart" system in which the video and power is ran through a cat5 type cable. I havn't been doing this long, but is there some sort of converter or box that will adapt/process to bnc for what I need (cat to bnc)? He doesn't want to upgrade his cameras.

Sorry if this is a repost. Just looking for quick help.

Thanks,

Brad

Tell him those cameras are garbage and they are not compatible with the DVR he purchased. I am not aware of any converters, if there are any it is not worth it to purchase them for such cheap cameras. He can afford a nice DVR but he can't afford decent cameras?:roll:

I second that: Any cameras that are prewired with cheap Cat-5 or RJ-11 are bad. Wal-mart, costco, sam's club all sell similar systems.

Do the cameras have a RJ-45 or RJ-11 plug?

Do they have additional inputs (RCA or BNC)?

They use an RJ-11 plug and send Audio/Video/Power on the supplied single cable. I've heard they make a converter called a "haystack" but they are hard to come across.

Some of the haystacks are designed for data transfer and not A/V, so you'll have to do some research to track the correct ones down.

You could always cut the end of the plug and find the different leads and what they goto, but the labor involved will exceed the cost of a new camera!

Thanks for the info. I know the cameras are crap, but he isn't wanting to buy new ones. I hate to loose the sale over it, but I'll talk to him again and see what he says.

Thanks,

Brad

Those probably won't work and I really doubt the DVR will be able to send power to the cameras.

If he can afford a GE DVR, I'm sure he can fork out some money for some cameras. Even a $115 budget bullet camera is better than most of those Proprietary cameras.

depends on the system, get the name, is it a Focus??

[None of this is considered professional but it will work]

Anyway, Ive done that before, where they used a regular TV and the monitors were bad/missing.. yeah got suckered, anyway

They may have audio as well, either way, check the model, I will base this off the ones i did ( cant remember if they were focus or what)

Cameras maybe 15VDC, if so then pick up a 12-18VDC power plug adaptor from any electronic store, switch it to the required voltage for the camera (you need to give us the model to find this out)

Find out the total MA used for each camera, if its only 4 cameras and for example they use 250ma each, then using the 1A 12-18VDC power supply, will power them all.

Okay next the cameras. They need positive, and ground, output from them should be video and ground - and perhaps audio.

Now i cant remember as its been a few years, but you can take the ground to the video and power, if there are seperate ones, and just tie them together. It will goto the ground on the main 12-18VDC power plug. You could even use a screw the system's monitor if they still have it, for ground for the cameras video side. Use the Alarm screw (this is on the focus system).

Video maybe yellow. If not it could be green. Thing is to find out what wires there are coming from the cameras, or like i mentioned before, find out the name. If video is yellow, then audio is the other wire. Normally power will be red, but ofcourse it can differ.

let me know what name brand and model it is then can go further.

Rory

According to Unit979, this system is using a 6Pin Din connector. So basically he needs to find out the Manu, and get some pig-tails.