mcman56

What size monitor for 8 camera 1080p system?

I just purchased an 8 camera 1080p system.  Install is pending but I'm wondering what size monitor I should get for viewing.  This is in a home so the smallest monitor would be the least intrusive to the home and I'm sure the largest would give the best view.  What would be a good compromise?

I think it will come down to your personal preference and viewing distance.

We have 7 5MP cameras and have the camera SW viewer on anywhere from 12.5" (laptop) to 24" external monitor. The 12.5" screen is great is you are sitting in front of the cameras at a work desk but we do like the 24" monitor in the kitchen area so we can view it across the room.

Nothing less than a 17" HDMI monitor. If you're installing an actual nvr, it's a certainty it won't support anything less than 17" anyway. A 19" is most common and would more than acceptable I'm sure. Just make sure it has HDMI for hookup. If they are good with a 21 or 22", rock on.

To view them all at full resolution you would need two 4K monitors. When I review video, I use my desktop monitor, 27" 1080P.

Just wondering why 2 of 4k monitors

Just don't see the point of recommending to spend more on monitors than system

Like has already been surgested. And thing HDMI FROM 19inch up

Each 4K monitor can view 4 1080P at full resolution, how cool is that. Didn't know the OP had a budget, didn't say. I don't even have a monitor on my NVR, so I'm in awe of someone that does. To me having a monitor on your NVR just makes it way too easy for a thief to steal the NVR when he's taking the monitor. So if you are going to have a monitor, go big or go home, LOL.

Each 4K monitor can view 4 1080P at full resolution, how cool is that. Didn't know the OP had a budget, didn't say. I don't even have a monitor on my NVR, so I'm in awe of someone that does. To me having a monitor on your NVR just makes it way too easy for a thief to steal the NVR when he's taking the monitor. So if you are going to have a monitor, go big or go home, LOL.

Sorry but am confused about view only 4 cameras on a 4k tv

At end of day it's not needed to go with 4k ..........cctv is to collect everdance and if needed to give to local police or to be used in courts

I just can't see anyone giving footage to police or courts ..........and saying you can borrow my 4k tv as well to view footage.

If you have four 1080P cameras and you want to watch them all at the full 1080P resolution, then you need 4x 1080p resolution, or 2160P aka. 4K, aka. UHD. Not a big deal, you can get 4K monitors for fairly cheap now, like a 39" Seiki for $339like here on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-SE39UY04-1-Class-Ultra-HDTV/dp/B00Q2VFC4U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418964558&sr=8-3&keywords=seiki+39+inch+4k.

If you watch four cameras on a 1080P monitor, then each camera will only use 1/4th of 1080P, so 960 x 540 for each camera.

This is in a home so the smallest monitor would be the least intrusive to the home and I'm sure the largest would give the best view. What would be a good compromise?

This, remember. A typical homeowner. It's not unlikely they'll have the monitor on top of the nvr...off most of the time. Don't lose sight of the small picture

If you have four 1080P cameras and you want to watch them all at the full 1080P resolution, then you need 4x 1080p resolution, or 2160P aka. 4K, aka. UHD. Not a big deal, you can get 4K monitors for fairly cheap now, like a 39" Seiki for $339like here on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-SE39UY04-1-Class-Ultra-HDTV/dp/B00Q2VFC4U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418964558&sr=8-3&keywords=seiki+39+inch+4k.

If you watch four cameras on a 1080P monitor, then each camera will only use 1/4th of 1080P, so 960 x 540 for each camera.

I don't get it.

Ok, it will be 960x540 and so what? Still if there is something happening I can bring this cam to fullscreen, or zoom in and get full res.

And what about system with 32 cams (or 64, 128 cams), one 4k TV for every 4 cams?

Or 5 or 8 Mpixel cams, 1x 4k TV for each camera?

Also using main stream in full ress for viewing is waste of client CPU power.

That's why there are different streams in cams. Use lower res stream in live view and main for fullscreen or zoom in region.

4k ONLY RESIZES ITS INPUTED IMAGE

1080p is sent from sorce to display (4k tv)

Don't think 4 camera images are split as its sent to tv..... Because that does not happen. Unles you have 4 HDMI inputs and a multiplexer built into tv to re display as 4 camera display.

Regardless of how many images sent ,....... 1-4-8- there only being sent to tv via HDMI at 1080p and as a whole image then resized to 4k

But costs ..........4k for monitoring cctv is just a waste and not needed

Forgot, you are right, NVR's only output 1080P no matter what. I keep thinking more of NVR software and PC you can output 4K video in. Price is not that much of an issue though. I paid $259 for a 27" 1080P monitor and you can get a 4K 39" monitor for not much more at $339, I think it's worth future proofing your investment for when that NVR is old and breaks and the new one outputs 4K.

Even having a 4k output on a NVR or pc still would not help

Image has to be from source. ........ The camera and that needs to be 2160p

4k on cctv is years away and costs will be big storage for one. Network also would be a problem would have to be a mix of fiber

2-3 or 5mp I don't understand why people say it will be outdated for cctv