Sign in to follow this  
mshaffer

Can I run a 12v camera on 15v?

I'm setting up a solar powered cctv camera and the camera takes either 12vdc or 24vac. I just tested the voltage coming from the solar charge controller (the load terminal) and it's 15v. I thought it would be maybe 13.5 max. So, I'm not sure what to do. I have a buck converter I can use to lower the voltage, should I do that? I just don't want to hurt the camera since it was kind of expensive.

pv.thumb.JPG.2b7ae60b3edcded5594146b1a1d21eb9.JPG

Alright, I was really hoping I'd be familiar with the model but I'm not. I've plowed through a lot of dual voltage box/brick cameras and nine out of ten times I'd tell you that you're good to go, but in this case, I'd wait for another opinion. Sorry.

Great, I wired the camera up to the solar panel using the buck converter I bought on ebay, and the capacitor on the buck converter blew. I had the multimeter on it at the time and the voltage on the output was over 50v. Hope the camera isn't damaged At least it didn't hit my face when it blew up.

pv2.thumb.JPG.fedae120fbfdc865515e4b8a446f9c8e.JPG

that's what happens when you buy electronic stuff from ebay.

the 15 V from the solar charge controller is probably intended for charging batteries

I would regulate (not just a resistor) the voltage before using it to power a camera. While some cameras (typically the ones that allow hookup of either 12VDC or 24VAC to the same terminals) can handle a pretty wide range of voltages, any camera that is 12VDC only will not be able to handle excess voltages.

I've seen 12VDC cameras that spec'd 12 volts +/- 5% and others +/- 10%. Rarely do cameras allow more leeway than that.

Hi. I would use solar power to charge 12v battery and feed your camera from that.

Also with you using box style I would use a heater and external IR

Just using solar will stop you using at night

Ok I got it working. I wired in 500ft of cat5e between the solar controller and camera and it brought the voltage down to almost exactly 12v.

Hi. I would use solar power to charge 12v battery and feed your camera from that.

I wanted to have a heater and IR but they would of used way too much power for the solar panel to handle. Maybe I'll upgrade to more panels eventually.

I'm also using the load terminals on the solar charge controller so if it's cloudy for too many days, the camera will automatically be disconnected when the battery voltage reaches 11.5v.

I would regulate (not just a resistor) the voltage before using it to power a camera. While some cameras (typically the ones that allow hookup of either 12VDC or 24VAC to the same terminals) can handle a pretty wide range of voltages, any camera that is 12VDC only will not be able to handle excess voltages.

I've seen 12VDC cameras that spec'd 12 volts +/- 5% and others +/- 10%. Rarely do cameras allow more leeway than that.

Ok, I'll look into a regulator. I think the charge controller is putting out 15v because of how cold it is outside now. I'm not sure how low the voltage will be when it warms up outside.