itsmesri

why not hide DVR or NVR in attic??

Why not hide DVR or NVR in attic? Everybody says attic will be so hot and dust and DVR age will drop half.

But just thinking, If I buy a DVR lock box with double fan and hook to stud in attic. Will not work?? And another idea is add extra ac Duct (HVAC) pipe to lock box that can cool down ( may be bad idea).

What you guys think? Share your ideas and suggest me if I am wrong.

Anyone had any issue in attic DVR?

Why not hide DVR or NVR in attic? Everybody says attic will be so hot and dust and DVR age will drop half.

But just thinking, If I buy a DVR lock box with double fan and hook to stud in attic. Will not work?? And another idea is add extra ac Duct (HVAC) pipe to lock box that can cool down ( may be bad idea).

What you guys think? Share your ideas and suggest me if I am wrong.

Anyone had any issue in attic DVR?

I dont care how many fans you have in it, its going to get freaking hot in the attic...With an NVR, you can easily hide it anyplace you have power and a network connection...

With an NVR, you can easily hide it anyplace you have power and a network connection...

I am quite not understanding this? for example Lorex NVR has 8 network ports, I am thinking all cameras cat5 cables directly connect to NVR? I am not correct?

But in your words we can connect cameras cat5 cables to switch and switch to router. from there is to NVR (everything in the single network). Is that correct?

With an NVR, you can easily hide it anyplace you have power and a network connection...

I am quite not understanding this? for example Lorex NVR has 8 network ports, I am thinking all cameras cat5 cables directly connect to NVR? I am not correct?

But in your words we can connect cameras cat5 cables to switch and switch to router. from there is to NVR (everything in the single network). Is that correct?

Yes, you dont need to use the NVR's poe ports..you can use a POE switch connected to any network connection (another switch or your router)...The NVR can then also be connected to any network connection. Using the NVR's poe ports negates one of the benefits of ip cameras over analog, in that they dont have to be homerun to the NVR...

They make CCTV lock boxes that also have an electric fan in it - but still needs to be in a cool room. You can bolt those down to a desk or wall. Also you can connect wired burglar alarm "tamper switches" to the door and a plunger tamper for if the metal case is removed from the desk or wall - the alarm trips.

Here is one...

http://www.amazon.com/CCTV-DVR-Lock-Box-Security/dp/B00666UYGC

The other thing to watch out for is dust. Attics are very dusty places with insulation etc... moving around. If you are THAT concerned just have snapshots of alerts sent to an email addr and have the mail server set to keep x days. That way if they steal the darn house you've still got a record of the perps!

Dust, heat, cold, moisture

Just to name a few

Plus a possible fire hazard

Usually you can not have electrical appliances in the attic by code, depending on where you live

A cool dry basement is the best place

Honestly if someone can access your DVR (no matter where it is ) then you have other security issues that should be addressed.

If a building is broken into it could plausibly be accessed unless hidden.

I'd go for a closet or something else nondescript. It's actually quite easy to hide things if you think a little while on it, and it's not like you need to protect against an invasive search warrant; just some people in there for a typically short period of time.

Honestly if someone can access your DVR (no matter where it is ) then you have other security issues that should be addressed.

If a building is broken into it could plausibly be accessed unless hidden.

I'd go for a closet or something else nondescript. It's actually quite easy to hide things if you think a little while on it, and it's not like you need to protect against an invasive search warrant; just some people in there for a typically short period of time.

I can think of valid reasons to want/need to hide a home DVR really well.

1. you have a son or daughter (likely in their teens) and whom you have reasons to not to trust. This person is likely to not only know you have video cameras, but also a DVR.

2. Your son/daughter have friends... and 1. ditto.

3. Your have a renter... and 1. ditto. But don't have proof or just cause to terminate to tenant agreement.

In the above situations the person(s) may have lots of time, and many times to search for a DVR. They could search many times with out you knowing they even looked. I'm not going to say why simply finding the DVR is bad, this isn't a "How to defeat a CCTV system" board after all.

Two other reasons to want a DVR well hidden would be paranoia, or criminal intent. And if there is a search warrant the DVR will be found (again I won't say how), no matter where it's hidden.

As for why not to put a DVR/NVR/VCR, or other CCTV recorder in an attic, it's just a bad location all around. A better BAD location would be the cold air return. <- Don't do that either! If you need to hide it, make a hiding spot. Here are some simple ideas (somewhat lame also)

make a fake floor vent, hide it in the floor. Heck, do that under your fridge; about as hard to get to as the attic, and your going to know if someones been rolling your fridge all over the place.

buy an old non working receiver/amp. rip out the inside, and put the DVR in the case. If you want, and know how, buy a little cheap stereo and make the amp appear to be real, and working. (never mind all those extra wires coming out the back.

use a PC case to hide the DVR. a full tower case can house a computer and a lot more.

almost any old electronic case is a good decoy, just remember a thief might steal it not knowing/wanting your DVR.

THIEF THINKING: "Whoa, a BATA MAX VCR! Hooked up too. Must still work. Score. It's even got an HDMI port!!!! I'll be able to buy some good dope with the cash I get from selling this."

remember anything you can think of so can some one else. it's best to just tuck it away, out of the way. A basement closet, on a shelf higher than the door opening is great. A lock box can help stop tampering. Locking the closet door could help too.

Remember also that some times to more 'hiding' you do, the obvious it becomes.

In the process of selling my house. But the next one I buy, Reinforced residential entry doors. Then on my office, it too will have a reinforced door and frame in aiding to defend access to the dvr, computer, safe etc... It's all about Layers, the cctv only does so much.

Under-cabinet vent designed for the toe-kick under your kitchen cabinets, hidden walls, hidden in the attic in a temperature controlled pocket - in other words, remove the insulation underneath and put it on top of the box. The last thing you want is the bad guys to take the video out with them in a PC or fake stereo receiver.

You can also consider a sacrificial-lamb NVR for burglars to find so they don't spend too much time looking for the primary NVR.