Sign in to follow this  
Bring_the_crunch

Old installation headaches

Hi guys,

I've come across a system installed in a business that has been causing me a lot of frustration and thought I'd see if anyone here can help....

There are 16 cameras some with PTZ, some without (Either cameras don't have PTZ or over the years it has broken - I haven't yet checked this due to them all being up high poles). The cameras are installed over quite a large area (Takes about 45 mins to walk the perimeter) and appear to have localised power supplies. The video feeds come back to a single location and are coax. They then go into a Vicon V1422 and below is a Vicon V1400x IDL. This then goes to a Netvu SD DVR about 3 metres away and a really archaic CRT monitor (Complete with screen burn).

In order to access the DVR you have to switch the V1422 to channel 17 and then you can access the DVR menu from the attached PTZ controller (Which doesn't actually control PTZ because this is done directly from the V1422).

My question is that surely this is a really strange setup and the Vicon equipment is redundant??? Surely you could just setup the PTZ through the DVRs and dispense with both the V1422 and V1400???? Thoughts??

Pete

The 1422 is your matrix switch and I think 1400 is there as a "translator" to send the 485 signal out to what I am guessing is a non-Vicon camera. It depends on how many views they need as to whether or not they are required or not.

You get frustrated with the old installation, it is better to go with the latest technology. The CCTV camera you are using which has embedded with less features and the latest CCTV camera has embedded with with some extra ordinary features which makes them. The one and only way is to replace it with the new one otherwise you will face same kind of problem again and again. So it is good to replace it as soon as possible.