GHOSTOWLGRID

Designing a home camera system, parts suggestions?

Hey all, I am making a home camera system to survey and record.

My plan:

16 cameras with POE, NAS support, at least 50 ft night vision, 1080p and good resolution/screen size.

1 GB router with enough ports.

1 NAS with good capacity.

1 UPS with good run time.

Basically, I am having trouble finding good cameras at a good price, Lorex has some nice cameras but they are 200 dollars a piece.

As far as remote watching with my phone, I can VPN to my router and view the cameras as media video streaming servers, so thats easy.

Basically, I know what I want to do, I'm just having problems finding good hardware that can support my needs. Most of what I find is either cheap junk or overpriced good stuff.

EDIT:

I forgot to add, I would like to have actual motion sensors trigger recording if possible.

Like those flood light motion sensors, something like that, but for the camera, no flood lights.

Hey all, I am making a home camera system to survey and record.

My plan:

16 cameras with POE, NAS support, at least 50 ft night vision, 1080p and good resolution/screen size.

1 GB router with enough ports.

1 NAS with good capacity.

1 UPS with good run time.

Basically, I am having trouble finding good cameras at a good price, Lorex has some nice cameras but they are 200 dollars a piece.

As far as remote watching with my phone, I can VPN to my router and view the cameras as media video streaming servers, so thats easy.

Basically, I know what I want to do, I'm just having problems finding good hardware that can support my needs. Most of what I find is either cheap junk or overpriced good stuff.

EDIT:

I forgot to add, I would like to have actual motion sensors trigger recording if possible.

Like those flood light motion sensors, something like that, but for the camera, no flood lights.

look for hikvision cameras with alarm inputs (you will need that if you want to use a pir sensor)...

Just curious, what's your budget and are you installing the cables and cameras?

I wouldn't mind spending a little extra for good quality, but I will need 16 cameras simply because of the area needed to be recorded.

This camera:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA46G1VX3882&cm_re=720p%2bPOE%2bcamera-_-2P0-000J-00084-_-Product

I like this camera, its an okay price, does descent video. But I don't know if it can record to a folder in a NAS drive at all.

If it can, I would consider it.

Only problem is, I'll be spending over 2500 dollars in cameras alone at this price.

The NAS:

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/network-storage/business/business-storage-4-bay-nas/

I was planning on buying this NAS drive and then doing a raid 5 with four 6tb seagate disk drives. for 12gb of storage and mirror raid for redundancy.

Trying to get away with saving to NAS and not having to buy a dedicated PC just for cameras.

I believe you are going to need a camera that supports Samba which allows writing to a NAS drive / FTP site.

I know D-Link and Mobotix support this which both will probably be out of your price range. It doesn't appear to me

that your GW Security camera on the newegg site supports it or their site themselves which has that camera

listed for $30 cheaper because of no included cable - http://tinyurl.com/qdfn3z4 You'd have to contact them directly.

Which i'd wonder how well the support is from that company, looks like the camera is an oem of possibly dahua or one of

the other overseas companies. Even if you found the camera that supports writing to a NAS, do you realize that if you

needed to go find a certain incident that happened how much time it would take to look through all of the individual video

files that are being created. You will be spending quite a bit of time just looking through video unless you know the

exact time and day the incident occurred.

imo, Dell has right now a $479 i3-Haswell desktop computer with a 1TB drive, then get some inexpensive 1-2MP cameras

(hikvision) that work with a VMS software (ie: Blueiris, cough: avigilon, or something else). Yes you'll have to pay a software license

fee for each camera and you'll probably have to buy some WD Purple Hard drives for the storage or if you want Raid 5 and the

dell didn't support the extra drives then look at D-Link, Buffalo Tech., Netgear, etc.. for an external raid5 isci box for storage.

in the end, i guess how much is your time worth when it comes to reviewing video?