HDryder05

Purchased property with CCTV system installed, how do I use?

First I will apologize up front because I'm rather out of my element on this so any help is greatly appreciated. I recently purchased a large rental property that has a CCTV system installed on it (on the exterior and common hallways) but I have no idea whether it works or not. All the cables from each camera go into the basement to a tan box. My question is simply how do I go about finding if the system is operable and how can I use it. Where should I start? Thank you in advance for any help on this subject.

First I will apologize up front because I'm rather out of my element on this so any help is greatly appreciated. I recently purchased a large rental property that has a CCTV system installed on it (on the exterior and common hallways) but I have no idea whether it works or not. All the cables from each camera go into the basement to a tan box. My question is simply how do I go about finding if the system is operable and how can I use it. Where should I start? Thank you in advance for any help on this subject.

Open the tan box and see if the cables are terminated. Tan box may be a DVR lock box or a camera power supply.

I would ask the previous owner/real estate agent which company they had install it. Then call that company and ask them to come out and show you what is what. Ask for instruction manuals or where you can get them.

If that is not possible, call any CCTV security company and ask that they send a technician out. They will charge you by the hour, but the technician can hunt down what is what and give you an idea of what you have. Let you know where to get instruction manuals, etc.

You may be able to hire an off duty CCTV technician to give you lessons on how to operate the system for a more reasonable rate than the company charges.