Sign in to follow this  
SethCalkins

DS-2CD2732F-IS - Night Mode

So this is my first Security Camera it's a Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-IS.

I'm having trouble with the video quality specifically a high amount of Noise. (Lines appearing horizontally across the screen. I'm assuming it's a problem specific to the settings. Perhaps some of you guys know some solutions -

Device Model: Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-IS

SV: V5.2.0build 140721

Below is a recording showing what I'm talking about

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg8lk2ia18yis8a/20150101_011653.mp4?dl=0

So this is my first Security Camera it's a Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-IS.

I'm having trouble with the video quality specifically a high amount of Noise. (Lines appearing horizontally across the screen. I'm assuming it's a problem specific to the settings. Perhaps some of you guys know some solutions -

Device Model: Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-IS

SV: V5.2.0build 140721

Below is a recording showing what I'm talking about

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg8lk2ia18yis8a/20150101_011653.mp4?dl=0

Turn the noise reduction up to 100 percent. Make sure wdr is less than 10 at night...

Reducing sharpening can also help, but this is a typical Hik 2CD2xxx low light image. They all show the horizontal line noise until you add extra illumination. You can also increase the maximum exposure time, but anything longer than 1/30 second will cause image blur for moving objects.

You might want to set up day and night profiles, as the high noise reduction will make for a softer image in the daytime, and WDR works well in the daytime to get details in the shadows, but increases noise at night.

If you increase NR to 100, you'll get tracing on moving objects, so a trade off. Definitely turn down sharpening and WDR. Also try setting gain down from 100. It will make the image darker but less noise. Some of that movement in the noise is caused by the iframe. Noise seem to drift and iframe snaps it back causing that effect. The other problem is the black pavement, it is what it is, it's black and noise will happen most on black surfaces.

To get a cleaner image at night, you may want to consider getting external IR illuminators to light up the area better.

With my Hikvision cams the setting that causes the most horizontal noise is GAIN. WDR smooths the image but causes "sparkle". NOISE REDUCTION calms the noise but you lose a little detail.

I use these cams in an area with low ambient light and I want to see beyond the IR range so I usually set;

Exposure Time to 1/12 a trade off to increase brightness without having to resort to increasing GAIN

Gain to <50

Noise Reduction to 100

WDR to 100

In situations with more Ambient light or more IR coverage you will lower noise most by lowering GAIN then WDR.