Hi all,

am looking for some advice please on the following system:

DVR - http://www.cameras-cctv.com/HD-DVRs/DVR-HD-SDI-HYBRID-NEW-8-CH-RF2974 (£415 w/ 2tb HD)

8x Varifocal CAMS - http://www.cameras-cctv.com/HD-Cameras/HD_Camera_HD-SDI_2961 (£55 each)

Ignoring cables, connectors etc of which i have plenty, I've priced this system up at cost £855 (exc. VAT)

Is this a good deal or is there better for the price out there?

Thanks All

Another member made a very good point earlier on another thread. Basically what he said was that formats like HD SDI and similar were simply ways of re-using existing coax wiring, so why on earth are you 'starting-out' with this platform?

I have not been that impressed with any HD-SDI system that I have seen and as a rsult have no offered that as an option.

There are plenty of easy to install IP systems with a NVR that has a back end that automatically configures the cameras for you

and without loss of network or system performance.

Sure HD SDI price has dropped considerably since it was introduced, its on it's way out since it's market was invaded by other similar and frankly far better platforms. A rethink might be your best option.

There are numerous systems around depending on where you are the trade suppliers will carry a number of proprietor systems.

They would be better placed to make recommendations based upon your requirements and budget.

Here Ii the uk QVIS and ABix both suply easy to install and configure systems, which are a great place to start IP

Wishing you luck

I have reverse opinion for HD-SDI from Numb-Nuts, actually, I believe guys has ever install HD-SDI will be prove the quality is best than IP, CVI, AHD and TVI. Particularly in night time which perfrom excellent and no lagging/ lantancy in video streaming. Further more, cabling is most hard work for instal low volatge even for IP config is more difficult gap if you no much experience.

SDI is weakness of trasmitting disatnce but at present has more solution to overcome it. Anyway, you amy consider all then to pick up which is curcial factor you care.

I have reverse opinion for HD-SDI from Numb-Nuts, actually, I believe guys has ever install HD-SDI will be prove the quality is best than IP, CVI, AHD and TVI. Particularly in night time which perfrom excellent and no lagging/ lantancy in video streaming. Further more, cabling is most hard work for instal low volatge even for IP config is more difficult gap if you no much experience.

SDI is weakness of trasmitting disatnce but at present has more solution to overcome it. Anyway, you amy consider all then to pick up which is curcial factor you care.

Do you know of specific manufacturers that are committed to carrying HDSDI forward? Most of what I've seen is people trying to get rid of it like the plague. Assuming HDSDI is everything it promises to be, are there still going to be reliable people manufacturing HDSDI products?

Do you know of specific manufacturers that are committed to carrying HDSDI forward? Most of what I've seen is people trying to get rid of it like the plague. Assuming HDSDI is everything it promises to be, are there still going to be reliable people manufacturing HDSDI products?

Have you heard of Eyenix?

http://www.eyenix.com/index/sub01.php?vmenu=v0201

I have tested an ordinary SDI with their TX-RX EX-SDI and manage to get excellent signal on a 300 meter run of cheap but Real Full copper RG59. Now my supplier has already started to offer EX-SDI camera so you will only need the receiver at DVR end if the cable run is above 130+- meter. And soon they will have EX-SDI DVR.

Looking at the Eyenix website, the EX-SDI is using a form of low latency JPEG compression to increase the range of HD-SDI.

You could think of this as a new standard, because (as I understand it) HD-SDI carries raw, uncompressed video.

So the choices are now: HD-CVI, HD-TVI, AHD, HD-SDI, EX-SDI, or IP. Yay! more choices!

Yes actually, there are much Korean, Taiwan, China and Germany supplier still developing HD-SDI products. e.g. KT&C, MD, ENEO, Grunding, Everfocus...

You are absolutely right for each items is transition product for new one comes out. I think now market full of much solutions so hard to bet which items is winner in the future. The better method maybe use old legacy to estimate and evaluate all as we do for convetional CCTV.

This may be true, but IP cams are the 800 pound gorilla of modern surveillance, and provide the most flexibility going forward. Lots of choices to upgrade cams and NVRs, replace failed components, add multiple recorders for the same signals, use various mobile apps, etc, and lots of pricing flexibility.

Unless I had a specific reason to use an alternate technology (existing cable, minimal lag, whatever), IP seems like the best bet for new installations.