Sign in to follow this  
oderus1671

best camera technology for coax

as the title implies, and from a previous post, i am needing to update my old b/w cameras. they run on a pc based dvr card(nv5000) and have good coax siamese run. i cant justify running new cables, so what would be the best camera technology for coax? to my knowledge, i know i wont be able to have the latest greatest tech, and there seems to be a lot of different types of analog cameras out there. i just cant tell whats good or not anymore! thanks!

I would say go for HDCVI, 1080p (you also have 720p available, which will be a little bit cheaper).

You will probably get the best quality for the price, and won't need to change all the cabling. If your coax is good, just replace the analog cameras for HDCVI cameras, and replace the computer for a HDCVI DVR.

The absolutely best live picture you can get is with HD-SDI.

But the emergence of HD-CVI and and HD-TVI in the market with its pros of longer distance runs and price difference make them a clear winner.

If you want to dish out the money for SDI go with SDI.

I prefer HD-TVI the best as it has a wider range of capabilities with compatibility.

you can still keep some your old cameras and upgrade the ones that you want changed.

I don't like Dahua so I am not a fan of CVI.

You may check out 960H PC Capture DVR cards. The PC based software will be provided free. Why pay more?

Why? because 720p is a significant increase over 960h..

Simply because 720P is HD system and needs HD DVR, while 960H is still an analog system.

He had old analog before...he is replacing the DVR and the cameras...so why would you recommend that he install inferior cameras and DVR just because they are cheaper...he said he wants "the best technology for coax"...960h is not even close...720 or 1080 is what he should be looking at..

My apology. I just overlooked his title. I just thought as he could have endured with BW cameras. New 960H could be his next best choice, I guess.