Sign in to follow this  
PhoneGuy85

Pelco Spectra 3 dead

Powered on my monitor this morning to see the feed from the Spectra 3 dead, looked at the power supply, and found this:

262829_1.jpg

Swapped it for a known good power supply, and nothing, used my voltmeter on the power leads to the cam and infinite resistance even on 20 megohm setting. Haven't had a chance to open the dome up and have a look, too cold, so don't know if it's a fuse or if the whole thing is toast.

This power supply was running it fine for the past 7-8 months, never felt too hot, definitely not too hot to melt the casing!

Any general ideas on what's likely wrong? I really doubt I'll find another Pelco dome for the price I paid for this one, it's done awesome since I've had it, and would hate to lose it.

Ok, update: fuse in the dome was blown, replaced that and powered it up, no video, but the heater/fan was working and interior of the housing smells hot, like a fried circuit.

Looks like it's FUBAR'd then

Awesome! yeah, it was drawing over 2 amps when I put the fuse back in, and the fuse was only rated for 1.25 amps so knew something was up!

Being I paid a whopping $10 for the cam, I guess it's worth fixing with a $130-$160 part

Is there anything else that could cause this? I'll get the power supply, but just don't want to buy something that doesn't fix the issue and then be stuck with a $125 part

Just an update, was going to order the power supply as was suggested, figured I'd better take the dome apart to remove the old power supply/backbox. Come to find out, it looks nothing like the part referenced, mine is just a PCB on the little "door" deal, and the fan off to the side. Glad I didn't order a part that wouldn't have worked. Also think the dome itself is dead, as the backbox is supplying 24 VAC to the dome, but the dome won't even do it's self test. There are 2 fried areas on the backboard PCB, one by the power terminals, and another by the coax, glad it didn't fry the DVR!

So, I'm saving it all for parts, the dome housing is still good, (and not cheap) and I hope to get another spectra to put in it some day. I'll just use one of my Panasonic cams in an outdoor enclosure.

The power supply is NOT in the back box. It is inside of the dome drive. That is where the kit is installed.

Ok, I see in the pictures of it how it goes. I've already changed cameras out, but will keep the Pelco and either fix it or save it in case I get another. the PCB on the backbox is scorched in several parts, so it might not be good either.