oldtimer

Samsung is dumping their CCTV.

Samsung will announce or have already, announced the closing of their CCTV do it yourself division.

Several other companies have found out, they can't provide quality equipment at those low retail prices.

For years I have attempted to point out how at many times these systems are just a waste of money. A customer viewing them at a disdcount store, views them on rather small screens. They look good. But go to larger screens or attempt to print a picture, the quality if any had long gone. If someone is thinking of these cheap systems, think this over. Look around these discount stores, why haven't the stores installed the systems they sell. You will see they have gone to the proffesional type of equipment and relied on a qualified installer. CCTV does not involve just mounting equipment. Where and what type is the major factor including knowing the product that's being used. I guess that's it for being on the bandwagon today. But I like to speak my piece. Having been in the business for 66 years, I have seent it all.

Not sure I understand you. Are you saying that Samsung is/was not professional grade? And what brand(s) of equipment would you recommend?

Samsung do it yourself kits are strictly for the amatuer. The quality does not come any way equal to the proffesional equipment. I hate to recomend any one company. If you are going to by any CCTV equipment, look at the specs. Some of these cheaper units have only a resolution of about 360 to 400 lines. You need something today of at least 620 . As for the pickup plate you should look for 1/3. The cheaper units are mainly 1/4. Make sure your lense is glass. In a very short time a plastic lens will give you problems. When you see those awful pictures on TV of actual holdups, that's mainly bad equipment. At times it can also be a bad installation where the cameras were placed wrong. Many think CCTV is simple. It takes a lot of practice and time to do the job correctly. Back lighting control is another factor to deal with. With the cheaper cameras with a fixed lense you are unable to accomplish this task. As for those do it yourself kits. They have destroyed the iundustry. To me is like a man being given a knife and being told at the hospital, operate on yourself. You know what the end result would be.

I dont know. I started with a DIY kit and am still happy with the 4 cameras that came with it. They are all 700TVL. I have since added 4 more higher quality cameras. I would like to think that my install job is pretty good and my camera placement is fair. DIY CCTV is a hobby that I really enjoy.