Geaser11

How to install cctv in a remote unconnected area?

Hi Guys,

Apologies in advance if I am asking any silly questions as i am a complete novice at this stuff but I am looking after a local tennis court and would like to install cctv. I would like to be able to view this from my home but on site there is very little besides phone line which I think I could use.

Is there any sort of system that allows you to access footage of a site far away? Bear in mind there is no broadband connection on this site.

I would like to run 2 cameras.

Any advice no matter how simple would be a great help

Thanks in advance.

I saw a camera system WAY out in the middle of nowhere - at a forest service restroom/parking lot. No solar panels, or anything to power it. I asked at their office how they powered it and they said it was a hunter's game camera type system powered by batteries. And that the batteries could last 6 months or longer!

Might check into those sorts of systems. They have many more systems that they have in retail stores - also a LOT more expensive - up into the thousands of U.S. dollars.

How far away from the tennis court is the nearest "civilization" where you could hook up to broadband?

Without a broadband connection there, I don't see how you could remotely view it. IF say the clubhouse is withing half a mile to maybe a mile, and is LINE OF SIGHT to somewhere with a broadband connection, you could use directional wifi. Even a home made "pringles can" antenna would work for a few thousand feet. Professional systems can have ranges of 2 to 5 miles LINE OF SIGHT (NO OBSTRUCTIONS, trees, buildings, elevation changes, etc) Basically you need to be able to see the antenna at both ends with a pair of binoculars.

The hunting cameras you're referring to are motion activated still cameras. Some do take videos, but the batteries would not last that long with a video system without a very large lead acid battery.

If you have a phone line there, is DSL a possibility?

We build these solutions frequently. We house the cameras on an outdoor enclosure with 3g/4g internet, solar power, battery backup. System is pole mountable.