dean-a-cfc-1

help with camera to protect car

Hello, I'm needing some help with a cctv setup, I'm guessing this would be the best place to post and ask.

Basically I'm getting a brand new car in the next few weeks and I would like a single security camera to keep an eye on it as it will be parked on the street outside my flat.

I'm from Scotland just in case It's different setups from the USA, what I'm looking for is a single camera, reasonably priced preferably with infared to see at night time,

it doesn't have to be able to move as the car will be in the same parking space all the time, the camera will be outside just above my window on an overhanging part of the roof facing in the direction of the car.

This is where I get confused though, I'm wanting the camera to record for 48 hours then loop over its self, so if I see any marks on the car I will be able to look over the footage from the last 2 days and find out what cacausedt, I would rather not have to purchase a video recorder as well so is it possible tothey a camera that will record 48 hours of clear footage onto an sd card then record over and over?

Would also like to be able to view the camera from my phone on an app if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dean.

Hey Dean

How car is your car park space from your building? Also is it single/double storey?

IP Camera with SD card and connected to your Router will do the job you want but make sure you check the max size and type of SD Card the Camera will support

Hey Dean

How car is your car park space from your building? Also is it single/double storey?

IP Camera with SD card and connected to your Router will do the job you want but make sure you check the max size and type of SD Card the Camera will support

Thanks for getting back to me, so with the ip camera will that automatically record over the previous footage?

Hey Dean

Thanks for getting back to me, so with the ip camera will that automatically record over the previous footage?

Aye it will, works on loop principle

Whats distance from location to parking space? You may need a varifocal camera and external don't buy one and put it against the window at night time the IR from the camera will bounce off the glass and all you will get is a blur

Hey Dean

Aye it will, works on loop principle

Whats distance from location to parking space? You may need a varifocal camera and external don't buy one and put it against the window at night time the IR from the camera will bounce off the glass and all you will get is a blur

I'm going to get an ououtdoor camera anyway, thanks, the distance to the car is around 10 metres

SD card will work out great for you. Choose a lens size that gives a moderately tight field of view, e.g. the hikvision 3 MP cameras with 4 or even 6 mm lens. Depending on ambient lighting you may want a secondary IR source, but you won't know until you get the camera in place, and the built in IR on these is pretty decent.

Buy yourself a $40 switch from Amazon that has POE ports and then run the single ethernet cable to the camera to power it. Then hook the switch up to your router and now it's fully network enabled. Given what you said you want you don't need to bother with any other storage. As long as you trust the camera won't be stolen, the SD should work out great.

I'm a total noob at this so I don't really understand a lot of that lol, would someone be able to post an example camera I'd be able to buy in the UK, I should have said there is street lamps next to the parking space as well so I shouldn't need an extra ir source, I was hoping to get a camera with wifi to connect to my router then all I would have to do is plug it in, connect it to the WiFi, plug in the sd card and start recording

SD card will work out great for you. Choose a lens size that gives a moderately tight field of view, e.g. the hikvision 3 MP cameras with 4 or even 6 mm lens. Depending on ambient lighting you may want a secondary IR source, but you won't know until you get the camera in place, and the built in IR on these is pretty decent.

Buy yourself a $40 switch from Amazon that has POE ports and then run the single ethernet cable to the camera to power it. Then hook the switch up to your router and now it's fully network enabled. Given what you said you want you don't need to bother with any other storage. As long as you trust the camera won't be stolen, the SD should work out great.

What is it the POE switch does?

POE = Power over ethernet. You do not have to run a separate power cable

Ahh I see, I was planning on buying a camera with built in WiFi so would I still need one of the switches?

even with wifi, you will still need to supply the cameras with power. If it is more convenient to you to run a separate power cable for the cameras and use wifi then maybe. I am no pro when it comes to IP cams yet, so some of the other forum members would likely be better suited to answer this.

I miss read your question. If you choose to use WiFi, you would not need a POE switch. You only need a POE switch if you are going to power the camera over an ethernet cable. In general, wireless camears are frown upon in the CCTV community. They are not very secure, and being that you still have to run power to them, you might as well go with a cabled solution.

I miss read your question. If you choose to use WiFi, you would not need a POE switch. You only need a POE switch if you are going to power the camera over an ethernet cable. In general, wireless camears are frown upon in the CCTV community. They are not very secure, and being that you still have to run power to them, you might as well go with a cabled solution.
This exactly, seconded!

There are very few WIFI cameras out right now worth buying unless you absolutely have to have wifi. The network reliability is lower and you're more likely to have bandwidth issues. There are a lot of cheap entry wifi cams like foscam, but you don't want to fiddle with those. Take an afternoon, run the ethernet cable, plug it into a POE switch, and now you're cooking with gas. You have the best approach. Great reliability, and it lets you use the best cameras there are, plus in the future you can put a new one there easily enough.

You can get a single-port POE injector for about 20 dollars including power supply. Plug one end into the camera and the other into your router (assuming your router has a built-in switch). This is less expensive than a POE switch for a single camera.

You definitely need an outdoor camera, as mentioned. I haven't seen many outdoor cameras with SD Card sockets but they do exist. The problem is, even if you find one, you will have to go outside to recover the SD Card to look for problems. I haven't used one yet but based on the mini-nvr thread here, I would recommend a mini-nvr with a small hard drive or just run the software that came with your camera on your PC or laptop.

You can get a single-port POE injector for about 20 dollars including power supply. Plug one end into the camera and the other into your router (assuming your router has a built-in switch). This is less expensive than a POE switch for a single camera.

You definitely need an outdoor camera, as mentioned. I haven't seen many outdoor cameras with SD Card sockets but they do exist. The problem is, even if you find one, you will have to go outside to recover the SD Card to look for problems. I haven't used one yet but based on the mini-nvr thread here, I would recommend a mini-nvr with a small hard drive or just run the software that came with your camera on your PC or laptop.

There are lots of cams that have sd card slots...hikvision-2532, 2632, 2732, 2132IWS (iws version only) and their newer bullets like DS-2CD2T32

Dahua has several as well..

You dont need to go outside to recover the SD card..you can log into the camera directly....

Those mini NVR's are full of issues...match the NVR to camera brand...or run pc based NVR software.