grandquads

Long Distance Long Range High Resolution Day/Night Camera

Hello, I posted on her a while back and got great help so here goes again. I Have a 15 acre farm that I would like to have some video of what goes on from time to time. I have had a few people help them selves to my tree stands and whatever else they felt like. I am looking for a camera(s) that can reach about 100 yards out with a decent picture and preferably at night. I'm aware that Infrared more than likely isn't going to work, I was curious if there is something other than IR cameras. I am on a budget although I understand this isn't going to be cheap. the other task is this camera(s) will be outside in all conditions and fairly for away from power sources 100 yards or more. I do not mind running a coax or ethernet cable to power them although a battery and wireless would be great but budget comes to mind. My biggest need is the resolution and the clarity and distance at night. Also a Half way decent DVR to plug and power it with. I can spend a 100 bucks or so per camera for lower end and for a couple of upper end around 225. I would like to be able to add cameras as I can afford them.

Before it brought up I have several game cameras scattered about and the video quality is limited and they dont have the distance I'm looking for.

On another note, This may help a friend as well, as he suspects his neighbor is running some not so legal activities and he would like to be able to see who comes and goes from the household and possibly see license plates. The house is about 60 yards from a location he could mount his camera.

Thank You

Thanks for the info, The main problem I have with IR is its easily detected. Most people (around me) have at least a gen 2 night vision that can easily spot my cameras view angle. As you have probably figured out its poachers hunting at night with either cross bows or quiet rifles and night vision. I have spotted them a few times with my gen 4 scope just by leaving my IR off and scanning to see if and where someone may be. the problem is I have no physical evidence and my word against theirs is not enough to move forward. Also if I were to try to do something now it would only make them mad and who knows what they will do next.

Thank You Again

That is too far.

Lately, I did have similar experience, but a little different.

It was an IP Camera, which was specially designed for us by the manufacturer.

960P(1280*960) resolution, they installed 6pcs array lights for me, 16mm lens.

I got about 400-500m distance, even the night vision distance is about 300 or so.

That was for my customer's residential fence. It costs us $127 per piece.

Check out here 263303_1.png

This would be a very bad application for thermal.

Thermal is good if you want to detect targets at 500m out but they don't provide any detail.

You want to use thermal cameras with optical cameras with IR illumination the thermal provides a wide angle situational awareness and the optical provides identification levle of performance.

Furthermore CNB does not make thermal cameras they make infrared illumination that is very different than thermal.

Please do not give suggestions when you don't know what you are talking about.

That is like giving someone directions when you don't know the way its not helpful.

This would be a very bad application for thermal.

Thermal is good if you want to detect targets at 500m out but they don't provide any detail.

You want to use thermal cameras with optical cameras with IR illumination the thermal provides a wide angle situational awareness and the optical provides identification levle of performance.

Furthermore CNB does not make thermal cameras they make infrared illumination that is very different than thermal.

Please do not give suggestions when you don't know what you are talking about.

That is like giving someone directions when you don't know the way its not helpful.

My mistake .... I best take out CNB Thermal down ..... Search thermal and smoke on the forum from about 3 years ago...

And since your having a go READ op does not want his cameras detected

And if you think thermal is not good enough then you don't use it

Now you list a camera that can look into a forest at night with no light and no IR ....... A camera that can detect through bush can detect in pitch black

AND PLEASE DONT SAY HIKVISION

Boarder control use thermal just for the same reason ...... IR CAMERAS WILL BE DETECTED WITH A SIMPLE USE OF A MOBILE PHONE CAMERA .

For not having the camera see at night you simply use 940nm which will show no glow and 840nm or standard IR illumination is invisible just simply there is a red glow at its source which when you are looking 300 feet away not a big deal especially for those on a budget.

when people say that don't want the IR to be seen they are talking about with the human eye.

IF he wants a system that cant be seen with NVD, Scopes, modified DSLR and other imaging equipment than yes course he would have to use a passive technology like thermal but thermal is quite expensive and would only allow him to detect targets not actually see them. Pretty sure he means not able be viewed with the naked eye not a completely passive system he is not a sniper in hostile territory just someone trying to protect his property with a camera that provides good value. IF he has an unlimited budget I have a PTZ with 1150mm zoom lens that is cooled HD thermal that will detect targets over 50km and a 5500mm HD optical camera that provides a 10m FOV at 12.5km which will give you actual human identification at 5km on good conditions or use a SWIR if he want to see through fog and smoke. But I was attempting to offer a solution based on his needs, budgets and the application.

Also border control uses a variety of systems and its not just thermal they use active, radar and cooled and uncooled thermal and visible.

Seeing as how I design systems for border, coastal protection, critical infrastructure, etc, and my primary end users are the US military and navy pretty sure I have a good handle on electro-optics especially as it relates to night vision.

Radar detects, Optics provide the recognition and identification, thermal is used when night vision distance over 3-5km is needed.

The best solutions for under $1,000 would be as I suggested the AP-550 clean night vision at 300 feet with 940nm (invisible to human eye and no red glow present) for around $650. Even a cheap 640x480 resolution will cost at least $6,500 and wont have good GE optic and will only detect the target not actually see it.

Also thermal sensors are larger then optical cameras and have less resolution so the distance and detail they provide is much less so a 50mm lens on a thermal will not give as much detail or zoom power as a 1/2 or 1/3 analogue camera with the same size lens not to mention most thermal resolution is only 320x240 no to mention over 10X the cost and closer to 15~20x.

Thermal is great for detecting targets but if you don't have the ability to verify or classify a threat that my friend is a false alarm so you want to use visible cameras with thermal to have a proper solution. After all what is the point of knowing there is a potential threat if you are unable to verify it to me that is no better then having a PIR detector with no camera. At 400 feet thermal you wont be able to tell if it is an animal or person.

If you like I have made some white papers on thermal and on DRI Johnson Criteria which is how thermal is rated I would be happy to share them with you.