ealfon02

Anyone heard of Video-Insight

Hi,

Yes, I have talked to them but the price seems to be little high. What is your need as far DVR fps and number of camera ?

Thanks

For $350 on a 16 camera 60 fps it isn't a bad deal. You wouldn't expect the top quality but maybe it isn't needed. It looks like it has enough features to handle most applications. You figure with a computer it will run around $1100 which isn't too bad.

I know, from my other post, you can tell I'm having a frustrating time finding a cpu based dvr that does what I want it to do. Some of the demos I'm looking at, I would be embarrassed to be the company 'showing them off". Yeah, the compression may be jacked up, but still.

Zyra, I'm guessing when you are saying poor quality you are refering to the web demo? The web client we use doesn't send as many frames as the server is recording. The new beta will allow the webclient to have some control over the number of fps sent over the net.. The server will record at as many fps as the limitations of the hardware allows. For instance, my test machine is running six camera's, three of which are recording at 640*480 at 30 fps, and three of which that are running 320*180 at 10 fps (the card in there is a v240.) But the web client will show them at the same frame rate. It's a kind of trade off. The plus side to our webclient is that it can be viewed on just about any computer, without a plugin, or without any special codec's being installed on the client computer. The downside is that you won't get the full fps. If you truely need the full FPS for remote viewing, we recomend setting up a VPN and using the network client.

I own the VideoInsight V120, 10 camera's, hp2.8, and I am happy with the overall horsepower it provides me. What I enjoy the most is the fact that I do not have to have any other software or special plugins to view it via the internet. I decided on this system because it is Windows based. Streaming quality is pretty good (your system connection speed and CPU speed set the pace, and as you upgrade those your system gets faster) I've set this card up on a dial-in system (no high speed on the island yet!) and the streaming for 4 camera's was sufficient to view, refresh was at 6 seconds. All I needed was a way to check on the ranch while I'm at work and this does the job. I can't wait to get DSL. The most impressive part of a video security system is when I first turn it on. I caught neighbors, kids, and professionals doing some really stupid stuff on my property. The kids used to mess with the horses and dog but now that I have a visible camera everywhere, they don't come around anymore. My neighbors also act differently once they we asked about a few things also. Fences make good neighbor's, and video keeps them honest!

Video Insight Tech Support? So far they have done very well in my book. When you call they answer the phone and solve your problem. No answering systems to negotiate.

Video Insight DVR Card? Works as advertised. The documentation was slightly lacking in explaining the dteails of some of the camera settings, but delivered on set-up. ie. Frame settings, bytes per frame, which is best, what the trade offs are when setting them. Motion detection settings work great. The average user will need to understand the details of the settings in order to streamline the system performance. Better details in the manual would be nice.

System stability; Never cashed, locked up, or failed.

Video Editing; I use power producer gold to edit clips. Video Insight came with one embedded but I was already used to the "gold" and I have not had the time to play with it yet.

Like to have? IP Camera interface, which Video Insight is going to release this month (will be inteserting to see how they combine the multiple formats out there that will work under one software progra) And, I want a stand alone networked hard drive to store the video on. Does anyone have any good recommended sources?

Later.............

The IP camera server is comming along nicely. Right now it supports Axis cameras and the programers are working on some more. I've got the beta on my desk and it runs well.

And Rory, one project we've been working on is a WinXP embeded based version of the software, would that count?

The IP camera server is comming along nicely. Right now it supports Axis cameras and the programers are working on some more. I've got the beta on my desk and it runs well.

And Rory, one project we've been working on is a WinXP embeded based version of the software, would that count?

I guess, can you put it on one of these?

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/mocha.asp

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/waferpc.asp

USB can't hang. Like Thomas stated, the video is poor. And like anything else, once you get started you want to expand or upgrade. USB is very limited. I tried/purchased one and everything about it had a Kmart feel. And, tech support was terrible.