Sign in to follow this  
Jyaki

What is the best resolution and fps combination?

I just purchased and set up 7x hikvision ds-2cd2532f-i cameras using Milestone Xprotect Go. I am running everything on a Dell XPS i7 with 1TB HD. On the camera's spec sheet, it states that it can record at either: 20fps (2048 x 1536) or 30fps (1920 x 1080) or 30fps (1280 x 720). Which setting would you guys recommend?

Thanks

what kind of environment are they in, are they like in a mall, or store where faces are needed to be identified or just like an general overview. If you need detailed image stick with 3MP but if just a general overview put at 2MP at 30FPS. Also f you have ALOT of traffic and fast moving areas, i would keep it at 2MP with 30FPS.

You can put some at 3MP for areas needed and 2MP for others.

Thx for the reply. The cameras are in an office environment. It sounds like the camera pointing at the back entrance (not much traffic) I should bump up to 3 megapixels 20 fps and the camera pointing at our front desk (lots of traffic) I should keep at 1080 30fps.

You dont need 30fps in an office..15fps is WAY more than enough...

As far as the megapixles...that camera will show a different area of view for 3mp and 2mp...try both and see what captures the area you need...it will not be any clearer in 3mp mode..it just covers more vertical area...in 2mp you get a bit more horizontal area.

20 FPS is very close to full motion video, which you don't even need for a security camera anyway. Even 20 FPS is more than you need. I vote for 3 MP @ 20 FPS. You'll never capture something in those extra 10 frames you couldn't have caught at 20 IMO. I record at 15 (I could go higher) for space reasons, but at 15 cars and people look fine. You can tell the frame rate is lower, yes, but it's not like they are stuttering around the picture. How much movement can a person really do in 60 ms, right?

Big question using a 1TB drive would be how many days of storage are you trying to get with 7 3MP cameras?

I'd go 10fps for better quality or 20fps and limit the bandwidth on the camera to say 3-5Mbps.

example - i'd guess that if the cameras were to produce say 3.5Mbps of bandwidth at 20fps and you are

recording say 10hrs a day on motion you'll probably get maybe 6-7 days of recorded video.

If they are running at a higher bandwidth well you'll eat up that 1TB drive pretty quickly. If you were hoping

to get 30days of storage I don't see it happening.

You can always run whatever frame rate you want, it's when you put a limit on the bandwidth that it's producing

the quality of the video will get compressed and reduced some. Sometimes it's hard to tell that difference based on the

the camera and settings. Putting the variable bit rate (vbr) on the camera is done in the web interface of the camera usually.