Geneyus

Interested in Hikvision, help with POE?

I've been looking at CCTV systems on Amazon, and I'm not quite getting the answers I'm looking for. I'm very familiar with wired CCTV coax systems with a DVR from past jobs I've had, but I'm thinking of buying newer/nicer technology for my home if it's affordable.

I've been looking at cameras like this 2.8mm Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I camera:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RL2FZF0/ref=twister_B00RLCCBS4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And I've been looking at this TP-Link TL-SF1008P POE switch:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421633658&sr=1-1&keywords=TL-SF1008P

I read online that the ethernet cable that hooks up to the camera supplies power and data, or "POE" (new to me). Then what? Do I have to run the ethernet cables to a POE switch and then to a DVR?

I've been reading forums like this one that mention recording to the cloud through the POE switch. I really don't care about cloud storage, but being able to watch CCTV at work sounds nice. I just want the best, clear picture I can get in a CCTV system for $500 or less. Can I use the ethernet cables and POE switch and run them to a regular HD DVR without anything being online or viewed remotely like the old days? If I want it viewable online, do I need an NVR? I mainly want the capability to review video and upload it to a USB drive or something if I need to give someone a copy.

I have U-verse wifi and would probably install 3 or 4 cameras total around my house (front door, back door, driveway). Can anyone recommend an affordable HD DVR that would record the video and play it back in good quality? I know some DVR's lower the quality during recording. Are there cameras similar to the Hikvision in quality that are a little cheaper?

Thank you.

By the time you buy a POE Switch and a NAS. Your best bet is to buy a 4CH NVR (DS-7604NI-SE) and plug the cameras directly into the NVR. The NVR will supply the Video and Power over the Ethernet cable if the camera is plugged directly into the back of the NVR.

Thank you for the response. If I order the cameras and the NVR you listed, do I have everything I need to setup recording and playback? I already have a keyboard, mouse, and a monitor. Does the NVR allow viewing over the internet if I want to go that route, or do I need something else? I have a home wifi network.

You should have everything, but some do not come with a Hard Drive. So check if it comes with one or not, if not its ok, you can purchase a 1TB if you want to keep the video for close to a month or less. It come with a mouse.

Yes you can set it up so you can view the cameras remotely via smart phone app and pc app.

A question regarding this quote from abdelm01, "The NVR will supply the Video and Power over the Ethernet cable if the camera is plugged directly into the back of the NVR." My question is, if my NVR has POE ports but my cameras go to a non POE switch then from the switch they go to the NVR. Would I experience the same result as abdelm01 says or would I experience some other result? The only difference between the two is I would have a non POE switch in the middle.

A question regarding this quote from abdelm01, "The NVR will supply the Video and Power over the Ethernet cable if the camera is plugged directly into the back of the NVR." My question is, if my NVR has POE ports but my cameras go to a non POE switch then from the switch they go to the NVR. Would I experience the same result as abdelm01 says or would I experience some other result? The only difference between the two is I would have a non POE switch in the middle.

if you use a non poe switch you will not get power...a switch that has 4 POE ports costs 44 dollars...

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421726052&sr=8-1&keywords=poe+switch

Thanks for the response. One more question, so you can use a NVR that has POE ports and a switch that has POE as well? In other words both devices have POE?

Yes of course you can, but remember, if it only supports 4 cameras, you can not connect 5.

If you want to use a port, all you do is make sure the NVR is on the same network and change your camera settings to Manual instead Plug&Play and put your IP that you assigned to the camera. You all you need is one ethernet cable coming from the Lan of the NVR going in to the switch.

Thanks for the response. One more question, so you can use a NVR that has POE ports and a switch that has POE as well? In other words both devices have POE?

Some NVR's have poe ports others dont...but if you want to use a separate switch and only run a single cable to the NVR you need a switch that provides poe.

By the time you buy a POE Switch and a NAS. Your best bet is to buy a 4CH NVR (DS-7604NI-SE) and plug the cameras directly into the NVR. The NVR will supply the Video and Power over the Ethernet cable if the camera is plugged directly into the back of the NVR.

Thanks for the response. I ended up buying the DS-7604NI-SE NVR from Amazon after doing a lot more homework. I didn't like the idea of buying an NVR that was a little bit cheaper without POE capabilities and having to run wires to a POE switch as well... Too many wires!

I bought a Western Digital Purple 1TB harddrive to go with the NVR. WD recommends their purple harddrive for CCTV systems. I also ordered 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cameras to start out.

Thanks for the response. I ended up buying the DS-7604NI-SE NVR from Amazon after doing a lot more homework. I didn't like the idea of buying an NVR that was a little bit cheaper without POE capabilities and having to run wires to a POE switch as well... Too many wires!

I bought a Western Digital Purple 1TB harddrive to go with the NVR. WD recommends their purple harddrive for CCTV systems. I also ordered 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cameras to start out.

Looks like you are on the right track! Good luck

Great hope it works out. FYI. If you start getting errors with your Hard Drive, return it and get a Seagate SV35. I had trouble with a few of those WD Drives before and i stopped using them period.